Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-03-2021, 10:37 AM

Default Video Engine Problems in PT 2021.03.1

Another new version of Pro Tools, another crippling bug...

I upgraded to to PT 2021.03.1, then upgraded my system to MacOS Big Sur, which is supposedly compatible with this new version of PT. Every time I open a session, I have to disable the Video Engine if I want the transport to respond with any expediency (otherwise, it can take anywhere from five to ten seconds to actually play after hitting the spacebar). So that sucks.

Unfortunately, I actually have to work with video, so when I enable the Video Engine, the video lags behind the playhead by a good three to four seconds, skipping frames, and plays the entirety of the video WAY out of sync. It's completely unusable. This happens in every session, old or brand new. I just made a brand new session for a six second social video, and the video playback was 100% worthless.

Anyone have fixes for this? I'm running one of the new Mac Pro towers with 32 GBs or RAM, a 2TB drive, etc., so this is not a lack of power on my end. I am beyond frustrated.

EDIT: I'm running MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3
EDIT2: The video is ProRes

Last edited by PasteEater; 05-03-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Video Engine Problems in PT 2021.03.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasteEater View Post
Another new version of Pro Tools, another crippling bug...

I upgraded to to PT 2021.03.1, then upgraded my system to MacOS Big Sur, which is supposedly compatible with this new version of PT.

Every time I open a session, I have to disable the Video Engine if I want the transport to respond with any expediency (otherwise, it can take anywhere from five to ten seconds to actually play after hitting the spacebar). So that sucks.

Unfortunately, I actually have to work with video, so when I enable the Video Engine, the video lags behind the playhead by a good three to four seconds, skipping frames, and plays the entirety of the video WAY out of sync. It's completely unusable. This happens in every session, old or brand new. I just made a brand new session for a six second social video, and the video playback was 100% worthless.

Anyone have fixes for this? I'm running one of the new Mac Pro towers with 32 GBs or RAM, a 2TB drive, etc., so this is not a lack of power on my end. I am beyond frustrated.

EDIT: I'm running MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3
EDIT2: The video is ProRes
You probably should have waited before upgrading to BS and 2021.3.1 - a lot of people are experiencing issues working with video in Pro Tools 2021.03.1. You could try re-encoding the video using the latest Compressor and see if that helps. Otherwise, you could try going back to PT 2020.12 which may not be officially supported on BS, but it may work.

Or if you have a backup of your previous system drive you could go back to that. I'm still on Catalina and PT 2020.12 due to issues I'm having with 2021.3.1 (and 2021.3.0).

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 05-03-2021, 01:30 PM

>You probably should have waited before upgrading to BS and 2021.3.1

Wow, yup. It would also be great if Avid, I don't know, actually tested their software. Did no one over there actually think that people would use Big Sur AND video within Pro Tools? What a joke.

That being said, I've just spent the last couple hours partitioning my hard drive and re-installing Catalina. Now all I have to do is download all of the plugs I use and figure out where to download PT Ultimate 2020.12. Because it couldn't just be linked to my account, that would be too easy.

So, anyone know where I can download PT Ultimate 2020.12?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. Nothing's easy with this company.

Last edited by PasteEater; 05-03-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:57 PM

I feel your frustration. It seems Avid rushed to get Big Sur compatibility out the door because people were begging for it. Rushing results is things being overlooked and this lead to bugs as you've unfortunately found out. Since you do this professionally, in the future, try not to be an early adopter and let others discover the bugs before you jump in.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 05-03-2021, 02:58 PM

Yeah, I actually thought I WAS taking my time with this, since it's been well over a month since 2021.03's release. I talked with a couple other audio buddies (also pros) and they said things were running pretty smoothly on their systems. One friend of mine was using PT on one of the new M1 Macs with 2020.12 with fewer issues than I've been having.

I just find it hard to believe that Avid's QA is this bad. It's frankly pretty stunning. It's not that video is a little choppy, or dropping a few frames, it's completely unusable. I'm beyond fed up with Avid's excuses. Get it right, or don't release it.

I've been using PT professionally for nearly 20 years now, and I would drop this software in half a heartbeat if I could find another DAW that could edit this quickly. I'm no longer interested in cross-studio compatibility. I just don't care anymore, as it's not worth putting up with Avid's constant software messes. I've dumped thousands and thousands of dollars on Avid software and hardware upgrades over the years, and I'm just done with it. Luckily, I haven't purchased any Avid hardware in a few generations, so I'm ready to make the switch when the right software comes along.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:29 PM

There are many other DAWs out there and even more if you are looking specifically at Video. If you're tired of Avid playing catch up to Apple's annual OS updates, it might be a good idea to look at Logic and Final Cut Pro. The workflow is different so there will be a learning curve, but it doesn't hurt to have additional tools at your disposal to get work done.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 05-03-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasteEater View Post
snip . . . I just find it hard to believe that Avid's QA is this bad. It's frankly pretty stunning. It's not that video is a little choppy, or dropping a few frames, it's completely unusable. I'm beyond fed up with Avid's excuses. Get it right, or don't release it.
this.
Avid need to make an apology for all of these outrageous failures we're seeing and reporting. and every customer's "support" periods need to get extended for another year at no charge.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
There are many other DAWs out there and even more if you are looking specifically at Video. If you're tired of Avid playing catch up to Apple's annual OS updates, it might be a good idea to look at Logic and Final Cut Pro. The workflow is different so there will be a learning curve, but it doesn't hurt to have additional tools at your disposal to get work done.
I've been using Logic even longer than I've been using Pro Tools (since the eMagic days). I really don't like the workflow, so that's not really an option for me. QuickTime most certainly works in Logic though! I also am not very fond of the newer versions of Final Cut Pro, although I did like the old versions.

I only switched away from MacOS Mojave because I bought one of the new Mac Pro towers (don't do it, not worth it at all). And because the new Mac Pros only run Catalina or later, I've had to play this catch up game with Avid figuring out QuickTime compatibility. I (stupidly) figured that if Avid said that PT is now compatible with Big Sur, they surely had done some testing. I absolutely know better, but figured they had finally gotten their act together. Laughable.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:10 PM

I have two students in my class that run into major issues with video export in Pro Tools in their projects. Everything is working inside Pro Tools, but once they export to video, the audio in the bounced video is drifting out of sync.

Lots of variables, lots of tests, but no real solution. WIP with a moving target. The fact that there are now gazillions of video codecs and Apple throwing in some curveballs regarding what is no longer supported, and Avid, trying to catch up with all that.

More fun than you like to get into.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/