Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2021, 07:57 AM

Default Re: 99.00 perpetual license update SALE .. how long is this promotion going on ??

The elephant in the room is the fact that Adobe seems to be doing just fine after moving to all subscription eight years ago. In fact, after a three-year post-changeover slump, Adobe showed their highest net income ever which doubled their previous high. Today, they are more than three times as profitable as that.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:22 AM

Default Re: 99.00 perpetual license update SALE .. how long is this promotion going on ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The elephant in the room is the fact that Adobe seems to be doing just fine after moving to all subscription eight years ago. In fact, after a three-year post-changeover slump, Adobe showed their highest net income ever which doubled their previous high. Today, they are more than three times as profitable as that.
Very true and Avid could certainly decide to stop selling new or including new perpetual licenses with hardware , in the near future..... But as I noted in a different thread that may not really be as optimum of a revenue stream potential , as the current dual license option ??????

And while I see the general relationship ,,I am not sure there is a totally direct corollary between digital photography and digital audio in terms of what customers want and will pay for ...

Just speculating here , but seems to me there is likely more incentive for pro and serious hobbyists who work in digital photography, to have the latest in digital processing to be competitive, than there might be in audio ????

Seems like in photography you either work in digital or you work in film, and I think you have a lot more variation and degrees of analog and digital uses and hybrid etc. in Audio ...

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-03-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Just so there is no confusion. The $99 promotion absolutely is not a "perpetual license update sale " , in any way shape or form........It is a promo to get on the annual subscription plan, ONLY

In that picture in the black Box it clearly sates " Get your Pro Tools Subscription "

Yes you can keep your perpetual and get a second '"subscription" only license But getting that subscription only license does absolutely nothing to up date your perpetual. And has no effect on the status of your perpetual license, At all .....

So in essence you will have two licenses and you will have to pay for both to stay current with them both.. You will have subscription that after the first year will be $299 to renew and you have your perpetual for which you will also have to pay the perpetual update/ support renewal fee of $199 to keep it current.....

The only thing the promo actually does is get you in to an additional subscription license and some extra plugins for $100 off for one year.
Well said. Hopefully this clarifies the promotion for the OP.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-03-2021, 10:46 AM

The direct corollary is in video editing where Adobe is Avid's biggest competitor.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The direct corollary is in video editing where Adobe is Avid's biggest competitor.
Except we are not talking about video editing software .. We are discussing PT not Media Composer

And Adobe and MC may well be (a ) direct corollary ,,,but video editing is only one aspect of either Adobe's, or Avid's business situations.

And seems Avid is still selling Media Composer perpetuals, as well as subscriptions ? So Are you saying you think that will go away ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-03-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Well said. Hopefully this clarifies the promotion for the OP.
Thanks, so I noticed your system so 2021.7 is running good on your i7 and Big Sur ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-03-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Thanks, so I noticed your system so 2021.7 is running good on your i7 and Big Sur ?
Yes. Things are running fine for me given that I did a clean install with Big Sur 11.6 and Protools 2021.7. I'm careful to do fresh installs of the latest plugins and virtual instruments and test each before proceeding to the next. I'm kinda OCD about keeping my system clean and only load what I use. I'm sure those with greater needs and more elaborate plugins run into issues more often than I do. Nevertheless, my system is relatively simple but stable.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to the release of new M1x or M2 based MacBook Pros, MacBook Airs or Mac Mini. (I'm not a fan of the iMac form factor and MacPros are beyond my hobbyist budget.). I know there are still issues with Apple Silicon for Protools, but the future is coming and I like what it holds.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-03-2021, 04:51 PM

I'm not going to take the offer, as tempting as it might be. I purposefully let my PT Vanilla perp license's support plan expire late last year, on the idea/plan that I would freeze my system at PT 2020.12 until (i) PT Vanilla and Studio One Professional are running well NATIVELY on Apple Silicon, (ii) all of my plugin vendors' products I use (Audio Ease's Altiverb, Waves Horizon bundle and several other one-offs, all Liquidsonics reverbs, Izotope's Ozone and RX, certain Plugin Alliance plugins, among others) are running well NATIVELY on Apple Silicon, (iii) Apple has released iMac computers with M1X or M2 CPUs with a 16, 24 or 32 Gb RAM option and (iv) sufficient time has passed to fix the bugs and glitches which have or will arise from such a monumental change.

I figured a year ago that this would take about two years. Now, I suspect it will be another year or 18 months. I break even (with PT costs next December).

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with PT 2020.12, at least for my uses. I would be rather content with that version for many years to come.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:29 AM

Pro Tools Expert did a breakdown of this promotion:
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...plans-in-promo

This bullet point describes my home use situation:
"If you are a perpetual license holder who has an active upgrade plan because you pay the annual upgrade plan every year, this offer is NOT for you."
Old 10-05-2021, 05:29 AM

Interesting. I'd have to disagree with Mike's conclusion in respect of my own situation.

If you are a perpetual license holder who has allowed your annual upgrade plan to lapse and you now want to get access to the latest version of Pro Tools, this plan IS for you.

The plan would be for me if it updated my perpetual license. As it is, it is just a ruse to get me into the subscription model which I certainly will NOT be doing.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6