Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2002, 04:28 PM

Default Re: High pitched feedback...also previously referred to as "the explosion"...

I have experienced it. But not since v.5.01 I think. Long time ago.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:03 AM

Default High pitched feedback...also previously referred to as "the explosion"...

Hi, folks...haven't posted in a while, but have been happily lurking along in the meantime. About a year ago I remember reading some posts about "the explosion," i.e. you're running a session with no problem, then you hit stop, or for no other reason at all, you get an eardrum-popping blast of what sounds like digital clipping in your moniors. I had this happen a few days ago, and now I'm afraid to run the session...when I checked the DUC it seemed the thread went on for a month or so and was dropped. Answerbase couldn't help me out either. Did I miss something...sorry if this ends up being a "PT OS X???" topic. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thanks all.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:10 AM

Default Re: High pitched feedback...also previously referred to as "the explosion"...

I don't think I've ever gotten this since early days (5.0), but I remember that was definitely something to do with some "wierd" plugin settings.

I remember ditching all of the delays off all the tracks and re-adding them back on. The session was fine after that.

Paul.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:33 AM

I experienced a very loud tone that would start randomly on different sessions and under different circumstances. The session would freeze and I would need to hit the keyboard space bar to stop it. There are some threads on this. I trashed:
-ProTools prefs
- Digitsetup
- The contents of the DAE Preferences folder
I have not had the awful experience since I did this.
Old 10-19-2002, 10:31 AM

The sound I think you are experiencing was never actually reproduced or fixed by Digi. No one could ever reproduce it consistantly. The one that was attributed to the Waves plug has been taken care of and is a different situation. No one could ever provide a session that could duplicate the sound by using a set of exact steps, it just pops up from time to time. I haven't had it happen to me since I upgraded to version 5.2.1cs1, but before that I got it about every two weeks, always on a different session and there were NEVER any plug ins installed in the session.

My advise would be to use the most current version of PT's you can, and keep a steady supply of fresh underwear on hand...and keep some fingers near the volume knob at all times. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2002, 10:39 AM

Thanks everybody...I'll try that. Just out of curiosity, what is the deal with the Waves plugs you're speaking of? I got the Waves RenBundle a few months ago.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:27 AM

I just upgraded to 32 track PT LE the other day and on monday (12.16.02!) my big 32 track-plugin heavy-automation heavy-session got the explosion bug. So frustrating to work, waiting to get my head blown off by static. So much for getting into the zone.

2 years digi. I thought you'd have an answer by now. Amazing.

God willing the re-write of PT to Unix will slove this issue.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:57 AM

Yeah I get this every now and again with 5.2.1cs + 5.1.1 DAE. I can usually fix this and other faults like PIs not functioning (e.g. DVerb) by going to "Setups" & "Playback Engine" and forcing DAE to reload. Let's hope version 6 fixes this and no-one else gets their ears blown off.

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 12-20-2002, 01:31 PM

I used to get an explosion of sorts at the end of bouncing. i did trace that to trying to use too much cpu usage. i backed that off and never had a problem since. i am not sure whether the 2 are realted but i thought i would give my 2 cents,

ken;