How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2018, 01:28 AM

Default Using Thunderbolt + HDMI Screens crashes ProTools

Hey there,
I just added a small full HD HDMI screen for video playback in ProTools in addition to my Apple Thunderbolt Display. I am on a Mac Pro late 2013, running ProTools 2018.1 HD and MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3. Nothing else is on Bus 0 of the Thunderbolt connections.
A session that works just fine without the HDMI display connected is extremely unstable, crashing Pro Tools latest 10 minutes after I started working on it or even when the session gets loaded, not matter if any ProTools windows are on that screen or not.
Everything else works fine, the display gets recognized by the OS as a second screen and plays back the way it should.
Does anyone else have issues using HDMI displays with ProTools, are there any known bugs or alternatives?
Thanks,
Axel
Old 02-09-2018, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Using Thunderbolt + HDMI Screens crashes ProTools

I presently run a 2011 27" imac with 2 32" HDMI monitors, using the TB to hdmi cables. its solid as heck. i'm running PT10 though on Mountain Lion, so its probably not apples/apples comparison.....
Old 02-09-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
I presently run a 2011 27" imac with 2 32" HDMI monitors, using the TB to hdmi cables. its solid as heck. i'm running PT10 though on Mountain Lion, so its probably not apples/apples comparison.....
totally different thing. PT 10 was rock solid.

OP's post is quite distressing..

I myself have been searching for some used apple 27" Tbolt screens since they have a pass through from what i can see, but also a nice powered usb hub and firewire 800.

This topic is of particular interest to me, cause even though i'm looking seriously at windows, i do have a feeling i am headed in the trashcan direction simply cause i know os x so well these day, and i really hate the update system of windows 10.

@Xcell,

It is very important you send the crash reports to Avid when it happens. Just bombard them make sure you send every single one using the PT automated crash feature. I send mine every time without fail, and i have found that serious bugs have been fixed by the team that actually codes the thing, even so that people answering support questions weren't aware it had been fixed.

The fact is, that 90% of the problems I am reading about PT 12 (sorry, 2018), on macs, is with display issues.. and once again, it's a display related problem.

There is something seriously wrong under the hood and Avid need to fix it.

Just on a side note, since you have the apple display, can you confirm it has a thunderbolt through port and i could connect a second one to it? I would love to be able to connect 2 apple displays with just one thunderbolt port off the computer itself, and have no idea to this day why apple stopped making them.

Also, others here are using a mix of hdmi and TB displays and are having issues with pro tools feeling too slow to be even really usable. This is the first time i read of such serious crashes.. but if it only happens when the display is connected, that surely points to a pro tools issue. Mind, HS 10.13.3 is not supported yet, perhaps apple ruined something in the OS display drivers? Who knows. I really hope avid work it out quickly, cause new computer buyers or people upgrading to HS can not get any version prior to 10.13.3 anymore.

edit, here you go, still only 10.13.2 is supported. Perhaps Avid ran into issues themselves like yours, and therefore have been unable to qualify 10.13.3.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements
Old 02-09-2018, 03:05 PM

FWIW I'm running a late 2013 Mac with Sierra and have my Raven connected via Thunderbolt > HDMI, plus a second 30" Apple display. It all is rock solid.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 02-09-2018, 03:35 PM

I am having a similar problem...
2013 Mac Pro - 3.5 ghz, 6 core, 32 gig Ram, 27" Thunderbolt Display, plus a 27" Dell connected by either HDMI or Thunderbolt to DVI adaptor. Sierra and High Sierra both tried. Pro Tools 12HD - 2018

Video Problems, crashing, freezing, lockup, reset to sign in screen!

I took my Mac Pro 2013 to the Apple for testing yesterday.
BTW, I also had same problems with SKYPE multi user video chats and even during screen saver... Not sure it's a PT issue????

Pro Tools 2021 Ultimate - Native,
Mac Pro 2013-3.5 ghz, 6 Core and Macbook Pro-15"-i7, 2.2 GHz
UAD Apollo 16, UAD Apollo Twin Quad, Aphex 1788 Mic Pre's (16 channels), Presonus Digimax-FS, Hear Technologies Hearback, Dynaudio BM5A and BM9s Sub.

Last edited by Michael Hurwitz; 02-09-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:44 AM

Hi TNM, thanks for the reply!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
It is very important you send the crash reports to Avid when it happens. Just bombard them make sure you send every single one using the PT automated crash feature. I send mine every time without fail, and i have found that serious bugs have been fixed by the team that actually codes the thing, even so that people answering support questions weren't aware it had been fixed.
I am sending crash reports whenever a crash occurs. However, since it it is so serious I had to disconnect the HDMI display to be able to work at all - hence no more crashes to report...

Quote:
Just on a side note, since you have the apple display, can you confirm it has a thunderbolt through port and i could connect a second one to it? I would love to be able to connect 2 apple displays with just one thunderbolt port off the computer itself, and have no idea to this day why apple stopped making them.
It has a thunderbolt through port, but I never tried adding other screens with this port or anything else. What I do however is using a Thunderbolt cable from the computer to one of the Thunderbolt connectors on the screen because the original cable that is hard wired into the Thunderbolt Display is not long enough. Funny enough, this work just as good as the hard wired monitor cable.

Also, others here are using a mix of hdmi and TB displays and are having issues with pro tools feeling too slow to be even really usable. This is the first time i read of such serious crashes.. but if it only happens when the display is connected, that surely points to a pro tools issue. Mind, HS 10.13.3 is not supported yet, perhaps apple ruined something in the OS display drivers? Who knows. I really hope avid work it out quickly, cause new computer buyers or people upgrading to HS can not get any version prior to 10.13.3 anymore.

Quote:
edit, here you go, still only 10.13.2 is supported. Perhaps Avid ran into issues themselves like yours, and therefore have been unable to qualify 10.13.3.
Uh, ****. Alright, I will wait for X.13.3 to be supported before I try again.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:46 AM

Michael, let us know how it turns out, please!
I will probably order a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable to check if this is any different and report back.
Thanks,
Axel