Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-06-2017, 04:07 PM

Default 12.8.1 bug: PT flips L/R channels when consolidating stereo clips in timeline

When consolidating (creating a new clip on a stereo track out of a selection of other clips) in the timeline, using the shortcut alt+shift+3, Pro Tools flips the left and right channels - thus resulting in the new clip (file) being L/R-inverted…

Just noticed this now.
I have no idea for how long my stereo clips have been flipped when performing this task?

At first I thought this was some random graphics bug, where maybe the waveform was not properly drawn out on the new file when zoomed in, or something like that… but upon closer listening, on clips where the panned elements were very easy to hear it became clear; Pro Tools actually is flipping the channels!!!

Now, this is not supposed to happen, is it?

Seems to happen every time i try - with the keyboard shortcut and also when clicking Consolidate from the Edit-menu.
I have restarted Pro Tools, rebooted the computer - no difference.

This is a very serious bug that needs to be fixed asap!

Anyone else noticed this?

PT 12.8.1, macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Last edited by Swedish; 10-07-2017 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Terminology clarification.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:49 PM

Default Re: 12.8.1 bug: PT flips L/R channels when consolidating stereo clips in timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish View Post
When consolidating (creating a new clip on a stereo track out of a selection of other clips) in the timeline, using the shortcut alt+shift+3, Pro Tools flips the left and right channels - thus resulting in the new clip (file) being polarity inverted…

Just noticed this now.
I have no idea for how long my stereo clips have been polarity inverted when performing this task?

At first I thought this was some random graphics bug, where maybe the waveform was not properly drawn out on the new file when zoomed in, or something like that… but upon closer listening, on clips where the panned elements were very easy to hear it became clear; Pro Tools actually is flipping the channels!!!

Now, this is not supposed to happen, is it?

Seems to happen every time i try - with the keyboard shortcut and also when clicking Consolidate from the Edit-menu.
I have restarted Pro Tools, rebooted the computer - no difference.

This is a very serious bug that needs to be fixed asap!

Anyone else noticed this?

PT 12.8.1, macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Very strange issue but it isn't happening on my system. Can you post some screen shots?

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 10-06-2017, 10:59 PM

Default Re: 12.8.1 bug: PT flips L/R channels when consolidating stereo clips in timeline

Reverses L and R, AND reverses polarity??? Seems like it would take a lot of processing to even do that. Are you sure??? I'd need to see some verification on this one.

Steve
Old 10-07-2017, 12:00 AM

Not happening here - post your session file and let a few others confirm for you.

Also - could you clarify your issue? Are you saying the phase of the Audio is being flipped as well as the left-right orientation?

Last edited by teedeecee; 10-08-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
Reverses L and R, AND reverses polarity??? Seems like it would take a lot of processing to even do that. Are you sure??? I'd need to see some verification on this one.

Steve
Doesn't need much processing, just goofing things up like L goes to R and vice versa, and plus changes to minus and vice versa. Processing almost zero but directing the bits to right places (a.k.a. writing metadata to header) is messed up.

If that's true.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:26 AM

I cannot reproduce it. I chopped up some stereo clips and consolidated them and everything is intact, stereo field and polarity.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post

Steve
Sorry! Bad terminology in my first post. I have edited it now for clarification.
It is just the left and right channel that flips.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Very strange issue but it isn't happening on my system. Can you post some screen shots?
I was just going to take som screen shots, but for some very strange reason it is not happening here anymore either.

I have not even rebooted the computer from yesterday when it was still happening.

What seems to have solved it here was when I saved the session as a new *.ptx file (giving it a new name, in the same session folder).

Everything was working as it should in the new ptx from the get-go.
THE WEIRD PART: when opening the old ptx file now, after having "another" session file open in between - the old session also now started to work the way it should.

Very random!

Will make sure to take screen shots if this is starting to happen again!
Old 10-07-2017, 02:51 PM

How is your bin sort order set?
I've had some serious issues consolidating when set to 'modification' instead of 'name'.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Doesn't need much processing, just goofing things up like L goes to R and vice versa, and plus changes to minus and vice versa. Processing almost zero but directing the bits to right places (a.k.a. writing metadata to header) is messed up.

If that's true.
There would have to be at least two changes in the consolidate code to make his original statement true, reversing L and R and Polarity. Turns out that it healed itself. And he hasn't posted the screen shots of those original renders that were reversed from the "night before". Computers don't usually make those random blunders. But we've all had instances where we thought we were adding top to the snare only to find it was the wrong channel EQ, or added a reverb with the wrong send, and thought it sounded better.

Steve