Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-16-2004, 08:27 AM

Default Bussing a Master Fader

Is it possible to Buss a Master fader to a Stereo track?I have never been able to make that work, although you have the choice in the Master output menu.

When I bounce a mix to a Stereo track I always have to do it through an AUX input and then to the Stereo track.

Old 07-16-2004, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Bussing a Master Fader

A Master Fader, by definition, can't feed anything except what it's the Master of. You can switch the Master fader to be the master of another output or buss.. but it's not a submaster.. to create a submaster fader use an Aux fader.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 07-16-2004, 08:40 AM

Rail,that's what I have been doing.But why does the Master fader have the Busses in it's output menu?

Old 07-16-2004, 08:48 AM

The master feeder doesn't really "feed" anything...it's more like a volume control for that particular summing buss within the digital mixer. So, you can create a master fader for a buss which would essentially act like a master volume control for all audio passing through that buss.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:54 AM

You can assign what the Master Fader is the Master of.. but you can't assign the Master to another buss or output which could have another Master Fader.. 'cause then the original fader wouldn't be a Master (but a sub-master)... which gets to why I said "by definition".

The resolution is also dropped from 32 bit floating point to the session resolution after the Master output fader.. feeding that back into another output fader would cause all kinds of issues.

Rail
Old 07-16-2004, 09:03 AM

Ok I get that.So the choices I have to Buss in the Master fader are Inputs then not Outputs?

Old 07-16-2004, 09:22 AM

No - it's to choose what the fader is the Master of.

Say you have 3 faders assigned to Outputs 1&2 and another 3 faders assigned to Outputs 3&4. Call the ones assigned to Outputs 1&2 Group A and the others Group B. Now create a Master Fader - if you set the Master Fader output to 1&2 it's the Master Fader for Group A... switch it to output 3&4 and it's the Master for Group B.

A Master Fader has no "input" per se.. it's the Fader which is the last item before the hardware output.

Rail
Old 07-16-2004, 09:31 AM

Sorry but I'm thick as a brick today.On my Mbox Master fader I have only analog 1/2 and then Busses 1-16 as possible choices.If I set the output of group A to Analog 1/2 what do I set the output of group B to?
If I set group B to Buss 1/2 and set the master fader to Buss1/2 I get metered signal but no output.
So with The Mbox is the point moot because I have no other outputs or am I just not grasping this?

Old 07-16-2004, 10:03 AM

The Busses are virtual busses.. and the fader would do the same as on a console... it would act as a Buss Master Fader.. so if you had 3 tracks of backgrounds and you assigned them to Busses 1&2 and created a Stereo Aux track with the input set to Busses 1&2 then the level would be dictated by the Master fader - there's no advantage over using a Buss Master fader over an Aux master fader.. except that the insert point shifts from pre fader to post fader. The fader though controls the master level for all tracks and sends assigned to those busses.

Rail
Old 07-16-2004, 01:21 PM

Thanks Rail,I was trying to get the best info I could to help out Kurt Riemann in another Thread

I had told him to create an AUX Master to bounce a mix to a Stereo Track,and wanted to make sure that was the best way.That's the way I have always done it, but I thought I'd check it out in case I was missing something.