Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-13-2021, 08:04 PM

Default Midi not recording properly

Recording a passage that is tricky on a piano patch through a Korg Kronos, I sometime resort to recording hands separately. With the new 2021.3.1, when I record this way the initial pass works normally, but when I overdub, the original track cuts in and out and sometimes notes hang. Playback is fine and all the parts are there as they should be. This feature worked fine in 2020.....
Old 05-14-2021, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Midi not recording properly

Hmmm, assuming you are recording to a MIDI track and you have MIDI MERGE enabled(which would make sense)? Some might be due to sustain info(which has been known to have an issue in the past). My first thought would be to record each hand/part to its own MIDI track. There should be no problem assigning both to the same midi destination, be it a plugin, or back to the Kronos.

As an experiment relating the sustain issue, try recording both parts as you do now, but either don't use the sustain pedal at all, or don't use it on the second pass and see what happens

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-16-2021, 05:52 PM

My midi is acting up as well. My midi drops out while playing and recording. and the system crashes often now. never had that issue until now
Old 05-17-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamen View Post
My midi is acting up as well. My midi drops out while playing and recording. and the system crashes often now. never had that issue until now
Start your own new thread and give enough information so somebody can offer a solution. Right now we know exactly nothing, and your issue may have nothing to do with Kikkosound's issue

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-08-2022, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Midi not recording properly UI bug?

So this issue I'm having seems to be a UI bug where Pro Tools starts to lag whenever I'm recording MIDI using MIDI merge. There is no issue at all with playback or latency when recording. I could have 50+ tracks playing back with no problem. This UI lag solely occurs when using a midi keyboard to play drums and enough notes are recorded using MIDI merge. I'm using one instance of Kontakt on one instrument track because I dont want to have 8 separate tracks with Kontakt loaded on them for drums. I tried demoing Cubase 12 Pro and had no issue doing the exact same thing I'm trying to do in Pro Tools so that's why I think this is some sort of UI bug not a hardware issue. I've used Pro Tools for over 10 years and never had a problem like this. I can't find anything online related to this problem and have tried everything I can think of to troubleshoot it including multiple reinstalls, scanning my registry for errors I dont know what it could be.