Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-14-2017, 01:42 PM

Default Re: New vers of PT @ AES NY Oct 18 -20?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
One would expect that someday AAX effects will be available as clip effects, without them being special versions. Most VST based DAWs allow VST effects on clips, and some have for many years.
cant we already do this using audio suite , isnt that basically the same thing with a little more effort
Old 10-14-2017, 10:54 PM

Default Re: New vers of PT @ AES NY Oct 18 -20

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxes View Post
Attached is a screen shot from Avid's instagram page, it mentions they'll be "showcasing music creation, pro mixing, immersive audio & live sound solutions" at AES New York 2017.

That must (hopefully) mean a midi functionality update as well as other stuff!!

Excited 😎🔊🎼
I hope that ..., and not another useless sound sample library to compensate for sweet F A
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's
Old 10-14-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordingfun View Post
cant we already do this using audio suite , isnt that basically the same thing with a little more effort

No, Clip FX is non destructive, so you can readjust settings.
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 10-15-2017, 02:45 AM

In most DAWs, clip/item/object FX are real time and non-destructive. They don't create a new copy of the audio file, and they are not processed offline. Making changes does not require re-processing the audio. I understand that Audiosuite can be useful and fill the void in many cases, but it's not the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordingfun View Post
Old 10-15-2017, 08:18 AM

Non destructive is always the best way to go. You could always store the clip in the cloud encase you make an error LOL.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:48 AM

Default Re: New vers of PT @ AES NY Oct 18 -20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafoam_Green View Post
I hope that ..., and not another useless sound sample library to compensate for sweet F A
Totally agreed!
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 10-16-2017, 10:10 PM

I really hope to see some love for the MIDI side of Pro Tools. It often seems like I am the only one that uses MIDI in Pro Tools, but I actually love working with MIDI in Pro Tools except for the fact that 3rd party VI's seem to be less efficient. But freezing and committing has been a huge help there.

I would LOVE to see AVID fix a few MIDI things that really should be addressed.

1. Get Delay Compensation working right once and for all.

2. Fix the sustain pedal when recording with MIDI merge on. When MIDI merge is off, it works as expected. When MIDI merge is on, the pedal doesn't always sustain when it should be while recording, but is just fine on playback.

3. When working with transposed MIDI in Real Time properties and you choose not to have the MIDI show transposed, if you click on notes to audition them, they don't play back the note transposed. This makes all note auditioning useless and confusing. It should sound the note that it would be as transposed by the real time properties.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 10-17-2017, 12:03 AM

I too work with midi in PT (I am a seasoned Logic Pro user since version 2.6 in late 1995 & all versions right up to the latest 10.3.2). I find the midi very capable in PT but clunky in terms of 2 or 3 mouse clicks to do what 1 click would do in Logic or other DAWs. What I would like to see is some drag & drop stuff like Studio One, channel presets without having to do the export hack & I would really like to see the ability to set curves on cc midi data as drawing it in is painstaking.
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 10-17-2017, 03:39 AM

That instgram shot looks like they have added some functionality to the Clip FX page!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I actually love working with MIDI in Pro Tools except for the fact that 3rd party VI's seem to be less efficient. But freezing and committing has been a huge help there.
it never even entered my mind how much of a help committing a VI track would help but for less efficient plugins thats one thing that has bothered my about HDX , Avid did a great job at making a new platform with better capabilities and the industry didnt take advantage of it. There are a lot of plugins that are great from certain companies but the instance per chip is so low it should be embarrassing to them. It seems like Avid is one of the only plug makers that actually coded there plugs to be extremely efficient on HDX and most were just happy with , well nobody's going to complain but we didn't really help anything here. Thats disappointing HDX could have been so much more but doesn't seem like most companies wanted to put the work into it. Makes me wonder if plug companies are just waiting for DSP cards to be obsoleted when native daws are the only thing left, Which is a good thing 15/20 years from now but for the moment modern cpu,s are just not there yet. I wonder how much more effeint plugs would be if they were only coded for a native system but doing away with the past on a new platform from scratch making people buy every plug all over again a total re haul. If I was Avid I would spend a lot more time making advanced plugins from scratch coding them for maximum performance and efficiency, after all theirs a lot of companies making there piece of the pie from ProTools why Doesn't Avid step up and take over plugs like waves and make other P,Is to like VST and make a bit from there platform like everybody borrows a bite of the original ProTools pie