Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-16-2021, 06:50 PM

Default Insanely Irritating MIDI bug...

For some reason, ever since I upgraded to Big Sur, midi tracks (to various VIs, like Kontakt, Spectrasonics, etc) suddenly record a random midi volume dip to zero while recording. To be clear, these are instrument tracks.

I am recording, playing along fine, then I suddenly don't hear anything, then sure enough, upon checking the piano roll there is an abrupt fade to zero.

I have gone into Cubase 11 and this doesn't happen, only in PT 2021.31

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

Really frustrating.
Old 06-20-2021, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Insanely Irritating MIDI bug...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
For some reason, ever since I upgraded to Big Sur, midi tracks (to various VIs, like Kontakt, Spectrasonics, etc) suddenly record a random midi volume dip to zero while recording. To be clear, these are instrument tracks.

I am recording, playing along fine, then I suddenly don't hear anything, then sure enough, upon checking the piano roll there is an abrupt fade to zero.

I have gone into Cubase 11 and this doesn't happen, only in PT 2021.31

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

Really frustrating.
Do you have a volume pedal connected to your keyboard? You may be inadvertently sending MIDI cc7 messages. That or your keyboard is sending them on it's own (don't laugh as it happens sometimes with my ancient Motif 7).

I suggest getting the free MIDI utility called snoize and run it with PT shutdown. It will tell you what MIDI messages are being transmitted to your computer. Another thing you can do to rule out a problem with the vi's you're using is to grab a MIDI file from the net, import it into a PT session's instrument tracks, assign a vi and hit play. More likely than not there will be cc7 messages in each track and see how your vi's respond to that.

Also check the MIDI event list for unwanted MIDI cc7 events. And make sure there's no unwanted automation on your tracks.

QAPLA!
Old 06-20-2021, 07:01 AM

Not a solution, but a workaround:

You can set the MIDI input filter to not record those events.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Not a solution, but a workaround:

You can set the MIDI input filter to not record those events.
Yeah just remembered that! Been saving me..thanks
Old 06-20-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Do you have a volume pedal connected to your keyboard? You may be inadvertently sending MIDI cc7 messages. That or your keyboard is sending them on it's own (don't laugh as it happens sometimes with my ancient Motif 7).

I suggest getting the free MIDI utility called snoize and run it with PT shutdown. It will tell you what MIDI messages are being transmitted to your computer. Another thing you can do to rule out a problem with the vi's you're using is to grab a MIDI file from the net, import it into a PT session's instrument tracks, assign a vi and hit play. More likely than not there will be cc7 messages in each track and see how your vi's respond to that.

Also check the MIDI event list for unwanted MIDI cc7 events. And make sure there's no unwanted automation on your tracks.
No volume pedal with keyboard...but yeah he Snoiz idea is great will try this...I played in Cubase for about 3 minutes though and had no problems. So I was either lucky or PT has some issue....I will try this utility and also try things in REAPER. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-20-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
No volume pedal with keyboard...but yeah he Snoiz idea is great will try this...I played in Cubase for about 3 minutes though and had no problems. So I was either lucky or PT has some issue....I will try this utility and also try things in REAPER. Thanks for the heads up!
Okay - I have another thing to look at in addition to the MIDI event list for cc7 messages. Does your keyboard transmit velocity or after touch messages? That could affect vi volume. Snoize will tell you if that's happening. When running snoize try playing your music keyboard; first straight and then vary how hard you hit the keys. See if the volume changes. Check the PT MIDI event list for not only cc7 messages but also look at the velocity of the notes you're playing. If they're all over the place that could indicate what the issue is.

What exact keyboard are you using?

QAPLA!
Old 06-20-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Okay - I have another thing to look at in addition to the MIDI event list for cc7 messages. Does your keyboard transmit velocity or after touch messages? That could affect vi volume. Snoize will tell you if that's happening. When running snoize try playing your music keyboard; first straight and then vary how hard you hit the keys. See if the volume changes. Check the PT MIDI event list for not only cc7 messages but also look at the velocity of the notes you're playing. If they're all over the place that could indicate what the issue is.

What exact keyboard are you using?
I quit PT and went to dinner, leaving the Midi Monitor on....this is what it showed...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmwgswk0ms...%20PM.png?dl=0

So it IS sending some kind of midi volume all by itself. SO weird. It's an old Roland A-49. I wonder if something is up with the latest driver for it (for Big Sur).
So far Big Sur has been no joy. Having problem with UAD drivers loading even after a restart. UA says they are aware of the situation.....
Old 06-20-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I quit PT and went to dinner, leaving the Midi Monitor on....this is what it showed...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmwgswk0ms...%20PM.png?dl=0

So it IS sending some kind of midi volume all by itself. SO weird. It's an old Roland A-49. I wonder if something is up with the latest driver for it (for Big Sur).
So far Big Sur has been no joy. Having problem with UAD drivers loading even after a restart. UA says they are aware of the situation.....
This is a perfect example when people are having problems that could be MIDI related to grab either snoize (for Mac users) or MIDI-OX (Windows) when they have what looks like MIDI problems.

I don't think the drivers have anything to do with this. That is if it's so-called class complaint. Seeing as how it's connected by way of USB - do you have anything else on that USB bus? Maybe strip it down to just the Roland and see what's happening. There might be something else that's screwing up the data stream. That's not to say that the Roland is causing the issue - whatever it is it's not due to anything PT related.

QAPLA!
Old 06-21-2021, 03:00 AM

This probably isn't relevant but I have a Presonus Faderport which spits out a C-2 note constantly which is incredibly irritating. Semipro crap.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:47 AM

Another thing to check, have you looked to see if your plug-ins are Big Sur compatible? PT may be, but the plugs may not.
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here: