Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-01-2002, 10:19 AM

Default for UIOP

I got the DKFH cd and the battery standalone. i ended up having to reinstall my entire system(kept crashing) and went back to PTLEv5.1.1 (was using the 32 track beta.)
Everything is working great via direct connect. and I got my keyboard working in protools realtime for playing live and recording the battery sounds.
so far so good but I have a few questions for you.
1) what version of Protools are you using and on what speed mac are you on? will battery work with the 32track beta.
2) When I load the DKFH and play around for a while then quit my computer locks up. have you had this experience? smaller kits work. so do you use the entire set or just load the drums you think you'll need? do you layer the drums in a cell or just use velocity (my keyboard has velocity sensitive keys)
3) what memory allocations do you have set for Battery PTLE and DAE?
4) what do you use for creating drum midi tracks? what input device? (i also have a DR5 drum machine)
how are you bussing midi? I found the IAC bus kept crashing. now everything is on channel 1(?) via Oxygen 8 keyboard. It's working but I was wondering if this is the right way.....?
I guess I'm basically looking for some ideas on how you make drum tracks with this setup since you have used this.
thanks again for your recomendations, this was exactly what I'm looking for. and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

I'm on a g4 450/1 gig of ram/ dedicated audio drive(dkfh is on this)

Jeff
Old 12-01-2002, 04:02 PM

Default Re: for UIOP

Hey Charlie,
I just re-recorded all the drum tracks that were generated on my DR5 for a song. Created a simple drum kit in Battery and reassigned all the midi notes in protools to their coresponding Battery drums (from DKFH)
I had to compensate for a slight latency by shifting the midi track ahead to match the guitars and bass. sounds really good....the drum programming leaves a bit to be desired (I'm not a drummer! but anyway they do sound better than they did from the DR5. I'll keep tweaking it until they're perfect.
I just got an Oxygen 8 keyboard, so I can use that as an input for new songs (unfortunately it's only 25 keys)
I'll try the IAC bus but it kept crashing when I first was getting started. do you have any latency problems?
do you bounce your midi and re-import the audio tracks for mixing or do you just do a final mixdown using the midi tracks?
thanks for all your help.
Jeff
Old 12-02-2002, 12:34 AM

Q-1:I'm using the 32 track beta,,
Q-2:Befor you quit BATTERY use the DELETE KIT option,,also try and and save the DKFH kit as a proper BATTERY kit,,it will speed up reloading it next time you use it,,I use the whole kit,,just as it comes.The velocity layering is all set up and works great and,it's well set up all accross the key board,,in fact i would recomend that you use a piano style key board to trigger DKFH,,but your drum machine will work,,
Q-3BATTERY,,min;96k
pref;150k
DAE min;21896,,i've never changed this from day one,,and have always thought it an odd nomber,,
pref;50k
Q-4,,I use a TRITON,,but your Dr5 will work if you like hitting things real hard,,I'm not sure what your talking about as regards the IAC bus,,for PT to talk to BATTERY you will have to use the IAC bus,,its possable that you may be able to trigger the sounds in BATTERY with your controler at the same time as you are recording MIDI into PT,,you may have created a MIDI split,sending the same infomation to two places at the same time,,but for any MIDI recorded in to PT to trigger BATTERY on playback you will have to set that MIDI track to the IAC bus that you have assigned to BATTERY,,

I'm using a G4 400 AGP with a gig of ram,,i dont think it realy matters were you keep your .wav files for BATTERY as it reads from ram,,thats why it takes so long to load DKFH,,if it were to read straight from disk,,then you would need to keep the files on your system disk,,
Hope this helps,,Charlie
Old 12-02-2002, 01:27 AM

As soon as i am happy with a midi track i go right a head and print as audio,,with BATTERY,once ive got a beat were i want it,i'll print each element of the kit to its own track,,ie,,one for the kick,,one for the snare one for the hihat and then two sterio tracks for the toms and the cymbles,,this can become a pain in the A-Hle,,,but its all made very easy if you set up a PT session template with all the aux tracks and audio tracks and there apropriate busings,,is that a word?,,"busings",,Hmm??
As for latency,,well thats a bit of a problem with D-C and i've found the 128 buffer version dosn't like N-I's soft ware,,so what your doing already is what you have to do,,,
Also you mention that you made a simple drum kit in BATTERY using DKFH,,thats cool,,but i would highly recomend that you leave it as it is,,as you get more involved in programing your drums using the whole of DKFH you'll start to see why you have the choice of six types of Hihat hits,,and snare hits and all thoughs variouse crashes and rides,,load up the midi files that come with the set and check out how they are programed,,you'll see what i mean,, [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]