Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-30-2023, 11:40 PM

Default Re: OMG !! Can we just have an update that brings stability

In April last year I went to buy a 2020 iMac, after I procured my funds.

Turned out only M1 was available now, new Intel was gone from the store.

I kind of panicked, as I was not ready for that switch, I had not barely thought much of it yet.

I found the refurbished store. For my budget, I was planning my brand new iMac to have 1 TB SSD, 64 GB Ram, and 6 core processor.

Instead of that, I got a refurb in my signature spec, at the same price as my budget for a new machine. Kind of a double of spec.

I do get the Intel fan, but only when it actually boosts, mostly during RX module chains, and never during my typical dialogue editing in PT.

I do not notice any serious issues for my work. I don't have a lot of plug-ins compared to many. I use my computer for work and internet, not very much stuff, no gaming. PT has typically always been stable. I've never in 8 years had one single breaking need to revert version because a necessary component was not working.

As others said, a close look at particulars might be able to solve some of the "show stopping bugs" that other users directly state things like "oh I fixed that this way."

And yes, fragmentation of OS targets and hardware specs are greatly complicated, hence overloaded systems with many plug ins showing the most problems.

When I bought my last cell phone, I had no location GPS. Then it started rebooting all the time, got sent a new one after tech support ran me around. New one works fine since then. It can be botched hardware on single machines in some way.

Right now, the most annoying thing is if my open source spreadsheet app and chrome are open, my batch export in RX was causing RX to crash.

I cannot blame anyone for this, hah! To do so is picking sides after a certain point, or merely stating a blame when obviously it is:
a whole system <> system parts <> apps <> user issue!
All is going between, not just one part in isolation.

Edit: YES, bugs definitely exist; I do not deny that so foolishly. I work for a software tech on audio content and bug testing, so I see multiple angles on this.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //

Last edited by nednednerb; 03-30-2023 at 11:43 PM. Reason: truth
Old 04-15-2023, 07:06 PM

Default Re: OMG !! Can we just have an update that brings stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
2023.3 (MacStudio Ultra w/ OS Monterey) is very stable here. I can't import AAC audio from video files but that's about the only drawback.

I'm having the same issue here. What is your workaround?