Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 05-10-2021, 06:55 PM

Default 1st Impressions: Carbon

Arrived today.

Let me say briefly that I started out with Pro Tools way back when, have had DSP systems (TDM and UAD) in the past , and over the years have jumped ship to Cubase Pro, Logic, and most recently the amazingly full featured Reaper.

But I've often missed Pro Tools, to the point where even though other DAWS often had cooler features in some areas, there was always something with them I didn't like that weighed in just as much as their good points.

So downloaded PT last month, did a monthly subscription, and have been enjoying it again. Love Dark mode, love the way PT allows folder tracks in the mixer (unlike Cubase)......

Carbon was extremely easy to activate. Was up and running in no time, registered the software and downloaded the main items I wanted to get up and running with, and launched PT.

Let me say this is the most analog experience I've had in a LONG time. Analog because I just plain hit RECORD and everything works. No second 3rd party dumb mixer screen to deal with. Like hitting the record button a tape machine. Just no latency. Plugging in a DSP reverb downstream was great....plugging in guitar to the front jacks and booting up Eleven was super, it's just been a great day all around. This product was made for producers like myself, who play guitar, record a couple tracks at a time, do some vocals, and need to work without that second layer hovering behind your DAW.

Just a fantastic interface, super to work with the front panel, this is the best gear purchase I've made in a long time. And btw, yes it sounds great. There is some hefty and punchy low end coming out of this box, something I remember hearing from the Omni years back when I briefly used HD Native. Great sounding, great looking, this is going to be a personal game changer for me.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:29 PM

Default Re: 1st Impressions: Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
Arrived today.

Let me say briefly that I started out with Pro Tools way back when, have had DSP systems (TDM and UAD) in the past , and over the years have jumped ship to Cubase Pro, Logic, and most recently the amazingly full featured Reaper.

But I've often missed Pro Tools, to the point where even though other DAWS often had cooler features in some areas, there was always something with them I didn't like that weighed in just as much as their good points.

So downloaded PT last month, did a monthly subscription, and have been enjoying it again. Love Dark mode, love the way PT allows folder tracks in the mixer (unlike Cubase)......

Carbon was extremely easy to activate. Was up and running in no time, registered the software and downloaded the main items I wanted to get up and running with, and launched PT.

Let me say this is the most analog experience I've had in a LONG time. Analog because I just plain hit RECORD and everything works. No second 3rd party dumb mixer screen to deal with. Like hitting the record button a tape machine. Just no latency. Plugging in a DSP reverb downstream was great....plugging in guitar to the front jacks and booting up Eleven was super, it's just been a great day all around. This product was made for producers like myself, who play guitar, record a couple tracks at a time, do some vocals, and need to work without that second layer hovering behind your DAW.

Just a fantastic interface, super to work with the front panel, this is the best gear purchase I've made in a long time. And btw, yes it sounds great. There is some hefty and punchy low end coming out of this box, something I remember hearing from the Omni years back when I briefly used HD Native. Great sounding, great looking, this is going to be a personal game changer for me.
Great review! Happy to hear!
Old 05-11-2021, 07:02 AM
Avid

Makes me very happy to hear as well! Congrats on the purchase, Tom. And, thanks for sharing.
Berkeley, CA
Old 05-12-2021, 12:57 AM

Just received my Carbon today and I really look forward to working with it. Btw, excellent review.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:26 AM

Agreed, it is a very good review.

As one of the early adopters of Carbon, I will also say that I could not be more pleased with the unit. The sound is stellar, it was dead easy to configure and the the "hybrid" engine is a very cleaver implementation. Plus up to 4 discrete headphone mixes and no second layer of software to try to manage.

I've typically been a fan of the tighter integration between Pro Tools SW and HW, and for me, this does not disappoint.

I understand that the 4 discrete HP feature was a must have early on in the design, and in my opinion is one of the more important things that set this above the common. I'm glad whomever it was, stuck to their guns on this one. It fits my workflow very nicely

I look forward to some of the hinted at improvements/upgrades in the near future, such as Eucon enabled Carbon controls.

Enjoy the unit, I know I am.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2023.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2023.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 09-07-2021, 06:18 AM

I’ve had carbon here for about a week. It sounds fantastic. And I am coming from the Burl mothership in my bands studio. It’s a very clear open sound which leaves lots of room for malleability. Most importantly it does all of the things in ProTools that I need in the workflow is super streamlined. No need to worry about latency or buffer settings a second layer of software or hardware inserts out of sync it’s pretty cool. I haven’t set up software and still using my demo of PT ultimate. So I will write back if there are any issues installing that once I am official.

Super happy with this box
Old 09-07-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
I haven’t set up software and still using my demo of PT ultimate. So I will write back if there are any issues installing that once I am official.
Just so you know; When I demo'd PT 2020 last year, I just got a license when the demo ended, and the demo turned into licensed. No extra installation, it's the same install. As far as I know this is the case with all versions in the later years.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:18 PM

Carbon is a welcome change. I've been a PT vanilla user for near 20 years. For many of those years AVID didn't have an interface for me to even think about so I was very excited when Carbon came out. I had been using a UA X16 prior to the Carbon but the UA Console software was a pain in the ass. There was always that software layer between the interface and PT. When something went wrong, I often didn't know whether to look for the issue in PT or in Console. Dealing with one piece of software really does simplify everything. And on top of that, Carbon just sounds great. I was never unhappy with the sound of the X16 but Carbon beats it by a bit.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the great review. Carbon sounds like a potential real winner for me once the new Mac M1x mini comes out on 9/14/21. I can deal with a limit of 24 simultaneous inputs (16 adat and 8 analog) in my small studio to track a band studio live. I think the 4 headphone outputs on the front of the unit are a waste, I'll use my hearback system with an ADAT out. I like the 2 DB25 connectors for hooking up outboard gear. The low latency with native plugins is a critical plus and the more HDX aax-dsp plugins included is a plus but honestly a huge disappointment that more popular third parties like Waves etc. will never support it. Still, good deal having HDX without having to buy the HDX card. So here's the only barrier for me right now...

1.) I already own a current and up-to-date Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual license
2.) I don't need a second PT Ultimate perp. license and don't want to have to re-sell/transfer it - PITA.
3.) I don't want to pay $3999 when the included software worth a whopping $2599 is software I already own.
4.) Avid - please make a non-software included SKU for Carbon for a price of $1,400 and you've got a customer waiting right here, right now, today!

Thanks!
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 09-09-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
4.) Avid - please make a non-software included SKU for Carbon for a price of $1,400 and you've got a customer waiting right here, right now, today!
You sharing that bud with the rest of us?