Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-24-2021, 04:25 PM

Default Re: 2021.3 Video engine and bounce to .mov crashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
My movie length is 90 minutes, and I'm trying to bounce 2 minute clips as I've done for years. Doesn't work here...

Yeah there is a bug (unreported at this point) related to bouncing clips that aren’t the exact length of the video in your session. Try making sure that your bounce selection is exactly a certain number of frames (not subframes or some other unit) and see if that works. If not you may have to edit your 90-minute video into smaller chunks and use those pieces for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2021, 10:04 AM

I've tried everything everyone suggested here and PT still hangs and won't bounce to mov.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:51 AM

OK - just went through this with a client on a new Mac Pro / Catalina. One of our colleagues found that disabling the HDX engine and running it Native allowed bounce to .MOV. So far, that's the only thing we've found that worked. Avid really needs to up their game on the beta testing...

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-26-2021, 01:37 PM

Okay, was on with Avid Tech support, and they suggested it's a bad plug-in. They were right. After process of elimination, my outdated Exponential Audio Symphony reverb was the issue. Removed it and I can now bounce an mov.

(re being on HD Native as suggested in the previous post, I already am, so that wasn't the fix for me)
Old 04-26-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Okay, was on with Avid Tech support, and they suggested it's a bad plug-in. They were right. After process of elimination, my outdated Exponential Audio Symphony reverb was the issue. Removed it and I can now bounce an mov.

(re being on HD Native as suggested in the previous post, I already am, so that wasn't the fix for me)
YIKES!! Good to know. I am also not sure that where you put bounce location in your previous Q makes any difference at least for me.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-26-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:

It's hard to find updates for those, especially when they sent me all of those on an NFR I see a Version 3.0 in Components and the same in Symphony.aaxplugin
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-27-2021, 11:13 AM

Same issue here with 2021.3.1. PT takes a year and a day to export the audio and video after making the temp wav files. And by a year and a day, I mean I haven't waited long enough to see if it finishes. Progress bar barely moves.
I'm not on HDX, chose exact length of the video file, chose a different bounce location, and also imported only my mix track and video track into a new test session, so no plugins present.

Suffice to say, Bounce to QT is still not working. Back to the free 3rd party apps that do work.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:13 PM

I've been having the exact same problem since installing 2021.3.1 and upgrading to Big Sur - crashing anytime I tried to bounce a .mov file. Spent a good 10 hours on Avid phone support (who always said this was first time hearing about this issue) and working thru sessions systematically eliminating variables and finally narrowed to the default "Pad to Frame Boundary" check box that is auto selected (and greyed) for any .mov bounce.

Solution: Make sure you're in Grid Mode with TC/single frames selected before you make your cursor length selection for the bounce. If in Shuffle mode, PT will crash when bouncing to video. I also experienced the same crashes when "Pad to Frame Boundary" was checked before an audio bounce.

It appears this is a bug with the "Pad to Frame Boundary" option when a bounce selection is not frame accurate. Really disappointing that Avid, with such deep tech in video editing, once again is releasing versions of PT with video bugs. Totally messes with those of us who rely on their software on a daily basis for audio for picture.
MacOS 11.2.3
Old 05-06-2021, 12:27 PM

Thanks so much for the Grid Mode workaround Tunes7, that worked!

The process takes quite a bit longer than before though, but at least there is a workaround.

Without that Pro Tools consistently crashes.

------
PT Ultimate 2021.3.1, Catalina. Mac Pro 2019.

Last edited by pointybird; 05-06-2021 at 12:30 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-07-2021, 10:31 AM

Glad that helps. Nice to come out of the video bug rabbit hole with something useful:)
MacOS 11.2.3