Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 02-12-2019, 04:30 PM

Default Re: ProTools crash upon opening sessions

Man oh man.... ugh.
My sessions are opening now... so that's good.
But the audio is majorly distorted / crackling / popping.

When I open EZ Drummer separately.... Or Itunes.... or Youtube videos...
the sound is good / normal.

But in Pro Tools it's whack... and I don't know where to begin.
Help again.
THANKS
Old 02-12-2019, 06:54 PM

Raise the buffer size on the ASIO control panel. Try to get the driver of your interface to work, ASIO4ALL is kind of the least one you want to use.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:08 PM

This may or may not help... Upon upgrading to PT 2019.10, some sessions mysteriously would crash while opening. I'd get as far as Restoring Tracks, and it would crash. I suspected a plug conflict, and removed them all figuring to reinstall a batch at a time to zero in on the culprit. The problem is that I have 281 plugs, and you need to quit and restart PT every time you add a batch of plugs. Curiosity and impatience got to me and I actually generated the Crash Log on the crash page, and guess what? Near the bottom after "Stacktrace" the offending plug was named! (Amplitube 3). I took it out and it's now working fine.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:00 PM

Hi guys. New to this forum and semi new to protools. I downloaded protools first to learn the daw and have two major issues occurring, help please! When I load protools first, type in the file name and hit create, the program crashes and closes immediately. I found a work around on here that did work, however I noticed I wasn’t able to open any past saved sessions at a later time. I would receive the error “Cannot be opened. The latest version of the product may have been uploaded by a newer version of protools. Please install any updates and try again.” I have reinstalled to see if this corrects and it does not, plus now the work around to get it start up no longer works. I decided to download the trial to learn and am not sure I’m ready to subscribe however the full version works and loads/saves with zero issues. Any ideas on how to correct my pro tools first issues? Thanks y’all ��!

Last edited by WillK607; 05-10-2021 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-10-2021, 02:08 PM

Willk: please start your own thread instead of camping onto this one. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2021, 06:10 AM

Thanks, as I said I’m brand new to this forum didn’t mean to camp on someone else’s post.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:14 AM

On all Windows setups, best practice is to set Windows Sound Properties so that Windows does NOT use the interface as its "default playback device". Set that to the on-board sound card so that Pro Tools can have total control of the interface. If you need to be able to route non-PT sound to the same speakers, the best solution is a monitor/source switcher(like Audient Nero or Presonus Monitor Station 2). The cheapest solution is a small mixer with 2 stereo inputs(Behringer, Alto, etc have them for around $60).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-12-2021, 06:13 AM

Thanks for the information. The weird thing is I also installed the trial of pro tools ultimate and it works fine. Not one issue...
Old 03-28-2022, 10:39 AM

Thank you so much for this bit of intel. I had no idea about the holding N trick - and I recently had a crashing issue like i've never experienced before. When holding N, I found my playback engine to be set to Pro Tools Aggregate, which always causes issues for me, so I changed it to my UAD interface, STILL crashed. THEN, I changed it to built it output, and it worked!! so thankful because this project was huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
What interface you using on the PC?

If you open PT hoding down the N key, what options do you get for playback engine? If you dont have any interface connected to the PC then you need to use a virtual soundcard driver like asio4all which is free.

So open PT holding down the N key.
When the popup comes up choose your interface or onboard soundcard
Let PT load up and see if that helps.

Sometimes PT defaults to HDMI as audio driver which crashes my MBP everytime so have a look at this and let us know.

Also try trashing preferences and databases as that can help with unusual behavior too.