Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 05-10-2021, 02:15 PM

Default Weird Behavior in V2020.11.1.10

I updated to 2020.11.1.10 a little while ago and am seeing the following unexpected behavior:

A) any time I utilize spill zones (spill a VCA into a spill zone, load an Layout into one, ...), after clearing the zone and retuning to the basic top level:

1) Flip will only cycle back and forth between Pan and Vol (it won't pass through EQ, Dyn, etc),

2) per-channel meter-type switching doesn't work (it simply doesn't respond to ATTN>Meter button pushes - however meter type switching of the whole board using Shft>Display 1 and Shft>Display 2 DOES work) and,

3) graph displays on my Display modules don't work (graphs just don't appear as expected).

If I Off->ON cycle the MM using the button in the back (or just power cycle the whole board), all that functionality returns to normal until I utilize Spill Zones again.

What the heck !?!? Is this a known bug or do I need to stop drinking ?
Old 05-10-2021, 03:47 PM
Avid

Default Re: Weird Behavior in V2020.11.1.10

That does sound extremely strange. What version of Pro Tools are you on? Also - How big are your Spill Zones? Have you ever reconfigured your surface while the workstations were attached? If so, it would be worth disconnecting all workstations, going to Settings > Surface > and clearing then re-populating your surface configuration. Let me know.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-10-2021, 06:29 PM

Man Jeff, what kind of monster are you !? Between in person at NAMM shows and here you've helped me about 11 gazillion times over the years but you really out did yourself this time. How the HELL did you guess I'd reconfigured my surface with a workstation attached of all things ?! Pretty amazing ...

Yes, I reconfigured a couple days ago and may well have had my workstation attached (long story). I followed your advice but let me elaborate a bit on what happened because it was ALSO weird.

First I interpreted not having a WS attached to mean, shutting down the WS s/w on my Mac then making sure the WS disappeared from Settings>Workstations. Since Surface>Config doesn't seem to have an option for actually clearing the existing configuration, I just overwrote it (dragged new icons over the old ones, etc). Then "About>Shutdown" 'ed, unplugged and waited 10 min. Then restarted and that didn't fix it.

Then I interpreted not having a WS attached to mean to do the above, physically disconnect the Ethernet cable from the S6 and do all the above stuff again, reconnect the Ethernet cable and go from there. I added one more thing this iteration which was to "Update All" the firmware which went off without a hitch. But that ALSO didn't fix it.

But for some reason I decided to power cycle the MM (button in the back) and that actually seemed to fix it. Recall when I power cycled the MM before, the lost functionality returned but only until I loaded something into a spill zone again. This time doing so wasn't causing the loss of functionality anymore (normal behavior). Of course it's hard to believe that somehow power cycling the MM THIS time really fixed anything, and of course it didn't. I shut everything down, waited 10 min, brought it back up and I'm back to la la land again.

Answers to your questions: I'm on PT 2021.3.1, spill zones are 8 faders wide, one on each side of the MM.

What do you think? What else can I try ? As always, thanks for your help !
Old 05-11-2021, 04:44 AM
Avid

Can you send me a picture of your surface config page. I'd like to see exactly what you have where - and especially if and how you are using on attention zones? Thanks.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-11-2021, 12:50 PM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response.

Ok, here's the requested shot of my "Surface" page. I've also attached a shot of an error message I'm often getting now when starting up the S6 - never got it before all this started. If I restart the MM (button in the back), it comes back up without the error.

I tried reloading the last update and that didn't help either. So I've reloaded both the f/w and s/w to no avail.

What should I do ?

Thanks,
Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0178.jpg (20.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0177.jpg (25.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-11-2021, 02:11 PM
Avid

Are you suspending and enabling knob and fader zones on the fly? It is not possible to flip on attention zone parameters down.

Regarding the error message -> Reboot. If it still presents -> power cycle and then turn the Master Module back on.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-11-2021, 02:57 PM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks again for the response.

Yes, I do enable and suspend knob and fader expansion zones on the fly but they're always disabled when I have this problem. As I mentioned in my posts, all I have to do is restart the MM leaving absolutely everything the same and this nuttiness goes away. There are no setting variables involved.

As for the error message, I get it when the S6 has been unplugged all night and then re-started. It also happens when I power cycle the board (unplug for a few minutes then re-plug) and when I just cycle the MM (button on the back). Worse, I don't ALWAYS get it.

I really screwed something up in here by re-doing the surface config while connected to my workstation. As I've mentioned at this point I've power cycled everything, re-configured the surface while not connected to my workstation, re-installed the all the module's f/w and re-installed the board s/w. I just don't know what the hell else to do ! HELP !!

Thanks,
Russ
Old 05-11-2021, 05:46 PM
Avid

Are you inferring that these issues may be specific to going to the latest version (20.11.1.10) of S6 software? If so, you can try reverting. PM me if you need any specific installers.

Have you been uninstalling / then reinstalling when deploying new S6 versions?

The last option is pretty intense - but may be worthwhile if you try everything else:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...System-Restore

Jeff
MTRX FAQ