How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 05-03-2021, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools v2021.3 Now Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
Is Carbon solid for the people that have it? I’m really close to ordering one, but seeing things like “audio dropouts” just being fixed, makes me question it. Is that a rare issue, or do most people experience that? As much as I hate the workflow with the Apollos, I have had zero issues with them.
Obviously we can only relate our own limited anecdotal experience related to the kind of workflows we use.
I record only myself and both audio and midi tracks, from 10 to 20 total

With my system and specs I have had no Audio Drops outs, or any of the other issues that are fixed by updating to Big Sur and 2021.3.1 are supposed to fix as per the linked "release info".
And Carbon on Catalina 10.15.7 (As it did on 2021.1 and 2012.12 ) works as reliable as any system I have had.
I don't do video in PT, I use FCPX for video editing and import the PT music WAV file into FCPX
So for me there is no good reason to go back to any previous version of PT or OS

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-04-2021, 03:20 AM

Also using Carbon on a Mac running Catalina, recording 16 tracks at 24/96, doing lot of overdubs I never had any drop out or any problem at all, it seems a Big Sur thing...Althought not doing much midi on Protools I find this system very very stable, really good sounding and simple to use ( well although eager to see preamps presets in Protools), not even talking about getting rid of latency.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hi All,

I wanted to follow up and let you know that Big Sur 11.3 was released which resolves a few of the Carbon bugs I mentioned above. I encourage you to update if you are running into these bugs.

• Audio dropouts/artifacts in 10.15.7 and 11.2.3; Resolved in future Big Sur release (PT-268800)
• No Audio Output over AVB; Resolved in future Big Sur release (PT-268662)
• Unable to create Session at new Sample Rate; Resolved in future Big Sur release (PT-265729)
• No Audio device in Audio Midi Setup; Resolved in future Big Sur release (PT-268874)
• "Cannot Communicate with Playback Engine"; Resolved in future Big Sur release (PT-268881)

Thanks.
Sorry y’all ,
Guess I’m still confused.
Does this mean carbon now works with the new M1/ Big Sur Macs?
I’m thinking of pairing Carbon with a new IMac unless anyone advises against it.
Thanks again!
Old 05-08-2021, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
Sorry y’all ,
Guess I’m still confused.
Does this mean carbon now works with the new M1/ Big Sur Macs?
I’m thinking of pairing Carbon with a new IMac unless anyone advises against it.
Thanks again!
As per this page .. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements

Big Sur is qualified BUT M1 Macs are not.
You might find it works. Or you might find it does not.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
As per this page .. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements

Big Sur is qualified BUT M1 Macs are not.
You might find it works. Or you might find it does not.
Ok Gotcha . Jeez I wonder if it’s a good idea to wait until everything is working.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Ok Gotcha . Jeez I wonder if it’s a good idea to wait until everything is working.
If you have a current functioning system ( Me) I would wait, because some fairly reliable Mac "prediction sources" have indicated that Apple will likely be announcing a new bigger screen iMac in July (given the current M1 iMac is only available in in the 24" screen) and this new iMac will probably with a new upgraded version of the original M1 chip ( M1X or M1XZ or even M2 ) with more cores ,,,Of course it will be more money so ???????

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-10-2021, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
If you have a current functioning system ( Me) I would wait, because some fairly reliable Mac "prediction sources" have indicated that Apple will likely be announcing a new bigger screen iMac in July (given the current M1 iMac is only available in in the 24" screen) and this new iMac will probably with a new upgraded version of the original M1 chip ( M1X or M1XZ or even M2 ) with more cores ,,,Of course it will be more money so ???????
Good advice. I’m all set to grab the Carbon from my audio dealer, just perplexed about which Mac to get.
It also feels like the wrong time to buy with Apple, because something new and better is right around the corner. They are geniuses haha.
I guess my main concern is performance and also fan noise “coolness”.
So I’ll keep researching.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Good advice. I’m all set to grab the Carbon from my audio dealer, just perplexed about which Mac to get.
It also feels like the wrong time to buy with Apple, because something new and better is right around the corner. They are geniuses haha.
I guess my main concern is performance and also fan noise “coolness”.
So I’ll keep researching.
Performance wise the iMac I bought in November with the the 10th gen i7 is great, but the fan noise is quite noticeable when doing things like video rendering
So while it has not been a big issue when simply recording audio, but then I do not do huge sessions
The M series Apple silicon Mac's are said to be virtually silent

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-11-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
...but the fan noise is quite noticeable when doing things like video rendering
So while it has not been a big issue when simply recording audio, but then I do not do huge sessions
The M series Apple silicon Mac's are said to be virtually silent
I found my 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac (2019) to suffer from the same malady; fan noise.

I found that using the turbo boost switcher to disable turbo boost made my machine run much cooler which results in nearly silent iMac, and I have not noticed any performance issues at all. In fact, it seems to have improved overall performance especially WRT some of the Izotope line, and certain VIs.

But, of course I only relay my own experience and not offer any recommendation, so YMMV.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2023.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2023.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 05-11-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
I found my 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac (2019) to suffer from the same malady; fan noise.

I found that using the turbo boost switcher to disable turbo boost made my machine run much cooler which results in nearly silent iMac, and I have not noticed any performance issues at all. In fact, it seems to have improved overall performance especially WRT some of the Izotope line, and certain VIs.

But, of course I only relay my own experience and not offer any recommendation, so YMMV.
I have the turbo boost switcher down loaded but do not have it installed But you post has me thinking it may be worth it. Thanks

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...