Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-11-2021, 07:38 AM

Default Feature request: Track preset double-click in Mac's Finder would add a new track

Hello.

Currently, if you double click on a Track Preset in a Workspace, it creates a new track in the current session.

But if you double click on a track preset in MacOS's Finder, Pro Tools is trying to create a whole new session with track(s) from this preset.

I find this illogical as it's a Track Preset, not a Session Preset. Plus, by doing MIDI in Pro Tools I rely on Track Presets to fast-create new tracks of a particular instrument, and trying to automate this process using MacOS scripting, shortcuts and an app database for presets.

Basically, if you have a growing number of Instrument presets, or trying new ones, you could create new complex templates very quickly using scripting/database, which is not possible now due to the Pro Tools trying to create a new session out of a Track Preset instead of just adding a new track.

This feature would be a game changer for me.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Feature request: Track preset double-click in Mac's Finder would add a new track

Quote:
Originally Posted by a13jUK View Post
Hello.

Currently, if you double click on a Track Preset in a Workspace, it creates a new track in the current session.

But if you double click on a track preset in MacOS's Finder, Pro Tools is trying to create a whole new session with track(s) from this preset.

I find this illogical as it's a Track Preset, not a Session Preset. Plus, by doing MIDI in Pro Tools I rely on Track Presets to fast-create new tracks of a particular instrument, and trying to automate this process using MacOS scripting, shortcuts and an app database for presets.

Basically, if you have a growing number of Instrument presets, or trying new ones, you could create new complex templates very quickly using scripting/database, which is not possible now due to the Pro Tools trying to create a new session out of a Track Preset instead of just adding a new track.

This feature would be a game changer for me.
You're going about the process all wrong. You don't need to go to Finder to use track presets. Just use the 'create a new track' key combo of cmd/option/N and depending on how you have your track presets organized you can cycle through them (or use the 'create a new track' menu item). For example in the Documents/Pro Tools/Tracks Presets folder (this is where PT has it's track presets and I don't use the Avid supplied ones) I have folders for Effects Chains, Instrument Tracks and mix auxes. You can make as many folders as you want here.

No need to go outside of PT. OSX doesn't know that a PT track preset is supposed to be used in a current PT session. So what you want to have happen is not up to Avid but Apple to make it happen.

QAPLA!