Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 05-11-2021, 07:21 AM

Default Why is my midi keyboard transposing itself upon recording into DAW?

I record midi into my DAW (Pro Tools), for example, two measures. The midi notes get recorded with no problem. However, when I try to record the exact same notes for the next pass, for example, for measures 3 and 4, the notes are transposed automatically by one semitone. As a work-around, I tried to simply copy the first pass and then paste it on measures 3 and 4, but the exact same thing happens, the notes that are recorded, are up by one semitone.

I checked the lights on my Yamaha MX61 and the transpose setting appears normal, meaning so transposition numbers in terms of semitones.

One more thing, for what it's worth. My MX61 is being used as a controller. I have not figured out how to mute the keyboard's own volume when I'm playing virtual plugins/sounds; so when I am using it as a controller, I simply lower the volume on the MX61 down to zero (0), at least until I find a fix for this. I really do not think that is creating my midi transpose problem.

Is it something with my Yamaha? Is it a problem with the DAW settings?

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Why is my midi keyboard transposing itself upon recording into DAW?

Check the manual or watch some youtube tutorials on using Real-Time Midi to see if maybe you accidentally have enabled transpose as a real-time property setting. I can't think of any other way for this to happen and have never seen it on any of my setups over 17 years of using Pro Tools.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave