Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 12-16-2022, 08:25 AM

Default Spinning Wheel of Death when Changing Track Output

I've had this problem across several versions of PT. Sometimes, when I try to change the output of a track, I get a spinning beachball that never resolves. This happens right when I click on the output path selector on the track, looking at the edit window. It also causes one of my external hard-drives to spin up, which makes no sense since that drive is only for manual drag/drop backup. With all external drives unmounted, the problem still happens. Everytime, I have to force-quit and open a session backup file.

Trashed preferences has not resolved. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mac Studio 2022 M1 128GB RAM
Monterey 12.4
PT Ultimate 2022.10.0
UAD Apollo X16 TB3 and Apollo 8 TB2

Last edited by ChrisL; 01-26-2023 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Crash when Changing Track Output

Hey Chris,

Found this post from having a similar issue, would try and change a group of tracks' outputs to go into a routing folder and near-instantly get a beachball crash (Monterey 12.6.2, PT Studio 2022.12, Mac Studio M1 Max).

Mine however was happening on the Mix window when changing outputs, selecting them on the Edit window worked first time. It does seem to happen more when working with template folders/tracks imported from another session.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:34 AM

Very interesting that we have similar system specs with this problem. upgrading to 2022.12 has seem to have made it worse. Unfortunately I can't get a crash report with a spinning wheel of death. Does yours stop and start spinning repeatedly? I am now getting random spinning wheels, even without changing I/O. Sometimes, it happens 1-2 times per hour and I have to force quit/restart protools. Except NOW, my most recent backup gets the "corrupted magicID" error(that I've never gotten before) and I have to restore from an earlier backup.

I do indeed work from a template with folders, maybe it is time to get rid of the folders for now and see if that helps. I will report back.

Last edited by ChrisL; 01-26-2023 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:01 PM

Unfortunately, getting completely rid of routing folders hasn't fixed the problem. If anyone else has any solutions to try, I welcome it! Random spinning wheel's of death that never resolve are brutal when cutting vocals.