Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2010, 07:07 AM

Default Problems Sending Pro Tools Sessions

Hey all,

Im new to this... not really sure if I'm putting this thread in the right place but I'll try anyway. Im working on this project right now with someone in LA, which is needless to say pretty far from my residence in Atlantic City, NJ. so we got a pando account to send pro tools files and tried sending a few test sessions. It worked (in a way) in that the session did get sent... however all the tracks were blank. There are a few things that could be happening. 1. He has Pro Tools 8 and I'm working on 7.3... but PT is supposed to be backwards compatible and this shouldnt be an issue. 2. He has Leopard and I have Tiger, this could very well be a problem but im not sure. 3. We have different plugins... which would explain why certain tracks were blank but tracks that had no effect on them did not work either. We tried sending a session with just an acoustic guitar track and it did not work.
Does anyone have any suggestions or perhaps experience sending sessions?

I will probably be upgrading to Leopard soon, in which case I will be able to upgrade to Pro Tools 8 as well... but we'd like to record ASAP. Thanks.
P.S. If you want to hear some tracks check this out http://www.myspace.com/aclavortex
Old 03-15-2010, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Problems Sending Pro Tools Sessions

stupid question maybe, but do you send the session file only or the whole session folder?
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 03-15-2010, 08:24 AM

I do this pretty much regularly (me on the west coast of Canada, my writing partner is in Malaysia). I usually "save a copy in" a folder that is specifically sessions that are to be sent, zip (make an archive) of the new folder and drag and drop to my .mac iDisk.

A couple of things, make sure you are sending the entire session folder. Not just the session file. All that contains is settings and configuration info for the session, no audio. Another thing, since the target machine is PT8 and yours is a PT7.x, try having your collaborating partner turn elastic audio off on all the tracks. I found we had to do this when moving sessions around.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 03-15-2010, 08:56 AM

U need to do Save Copy in, making SURE ALL AUDIO is checked as well & as Brad said, Zip it up unless Pando allows u to send the folder; U may wanna check out DROPBOX.COM which u can just put the files|folders into a folder created for both of u & it goes straight to each others computer; no downloading, or going to an email or acct to check anything...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 03-15-2010, 10:58 AM

hey guys,

thanks alot your replies are very helpful... yea we weren't sending the session folder just the session, makes sense that it wouldn't work. Also, I'll have him turn off elastic audio, and well just zip it up and follow the rest of the steps you mentioned. Thanks again!