Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2003, 04:08 PM

Default Is Digidesign the only DAW software with the actual "bounce" feature?

I know other softwares use Export, or Transfer to get whats on the screen into an audio file. The reason I am asking is because I just got a hold of the E3 Demo of Doom III. I was looking at the sound files contained in the zip, and noticed the NIN directory(as NIN did the SFX and music), and a lot of the sounds are called things like:

"bounced_shotgun1.R"
"bounced_shotgun1.L"

you know, the common digi format for bouncing individual tracks.

Yes I know, an inane topic, but the DUC is a little slow these days.
Thanks,
=-CP
Old 01-08-2003, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Is Digidesign the only DAW software with the actual "bounce" feature?

you dare to waste our time w/ this worthlessness.....COOL
Old 01-08-2003, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Is Digidesign the only DAW software with the actual "bounce" feature?

I know, bummer eh?
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 05:12 PM

The only reason it was .l and .r is because it was multiple mono files rather than stereo interleaved and this is an option not exlusive to pro tools, in fact most decent DAWs (Logic, DP, Cubase SX, Sonar...) have options when exporting (bouncing) including, among other things, whether to bounce as a stereo file or miltible mono. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 05:49 PM

well, my question wasnt really about the R and .L, it was more about the term "Bounce". How many others us the term "Bounce"
Old 01-08-2003, 05:55 PM

ben, are you trying to keep this topic boring? you win its at an alltime record for a sleeper
Old 01-08-2003, 06:29 PM

I think it's just a generic term used for many things.You sat tomato I say tomauto. when I had my 8 track Otari deck we used to bounce to a hi -fi vcr and back to 2 tracks on the otari.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:01 PM

Cakewalk Sonar does use the term bounce, but only when moving tracks within a project, i.e. Bounce to Clip(s) or Bounce to Track(s). They call it exporting when mixing it down to a wav for burning to cd or taking it to other software.
The obvious term importing is used for audio brought into Sonar from elsewhere.

Just trying to keep the topic boring.

Tim Umstead
Old 01-08-2003, 07:17 PM

I used to run Cakewalk HomeStudio.. I rememeber that as being the crappiest product Ive ever spent $100 on. When I bought it, it was limited to like 4 audio tracks and 100 midi or something.
Man, that was terrible. I hear theyve done a lot more with Homestudio lately, but, I dont care enough to look for the changes.

=-Ben
Old 01-08-2003, 07:22 PM

I believe Tiggers bounce.