Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-24-2002, 09:57 AM

Default Clocking DA-98 to 192 Digital/TDiff

Hi,

I can't get my DA-98 (non HR) to work with a 192.... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
How do you hook up both devices ?
Do I need to connect the World clok from the SYNC I/O, although I do remember TDIF-1 carries a word sync ?
On the front panel of the DA, which clock ref should it be ?
I've tried different ways but nothing seems to work.....Help please [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2002, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Clocking DA-98 to 192 Digital/TDiff

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquarius:
Hi,

I can't get my DA-98 (non HR) to work with a 192.... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
How do you hook up both devices ?
Do I need to connect the World clok from the SYNC I/O, although I do remember TDIF-1 carries a word sync ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You need to terminate the word sync coming from the Sync I/O. So on the back of your DA-98, where it says Word Clock In, get a 'T' BNC connector, which has one end terminated. Plug the BNC from the Sync I/O word clock out into the open end of the 'T.

That should do it. Make sure the terminator is 75 ohm.

Craig
Old 09-25-2002, 02:20 AM

Hi CPettigrew,

But then how do you pass the clock to other devices ? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2002, 08:15 AM

TDIF does NOT carry clock signal. When DTRS machines are locked together the clock signal is on the SYNC cables. You have to use an external clock to run other equipment with it. We are using DA-78s with our 192s and I always run word clock from the Sync I/O to the DA-78s and don't have a problem. As for running to other devices, you either get a BNC "T", loop through the DA-98, or get a workd clock distribution amplifier. I hope this helps.
[email protected]
Old 09-25-2002, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mstucker:
TDIF does NOT carry clock signal. When DTRS machines are locked together the clock signal is on the SYNC cables. You have to use an external clock to run other equipment with it. We are using DA-78s with our 192s and I always run word clock from the Sync I/O to the DA-78s and don't have a problem. As for running to other devices, you either get a BNC "T", loop through the DA-98, or get a workd clock distribution amplifier. I hope this helps.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, that too. The way I do it is to run BNC from the Ext Clock Out of the 192, and in Hardware Setup, click on the 192, and tell it to send Word Clock Out. You can also tell it to send Word Clock (TDIF) which also works. (My 192s are Loop Synced with the Sync I/O, leaving the Ext Clock Ins and Outs available)

Now, for my second DA-88, you'd think that a BNC from my second 192 to my second DA-88 with termination would work. But it does not. As the second machine is a slave, (and Tascam being Tascam) I take the Word Clock Out from the top DA-88 and go to the Word Clock In of the second DA-88. No need to terminate the second machine.

All works and clocks well. I f I needed to clock anything else, I could then use the Word Clock Out of the Sync I/O or the second 192. (I use Blackburst to Video Ref In, and then use Loop Sync to clock my system)

Craig