Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2009, 08:56 PM

Exclamation quik question

Testing my equip today, and been running the gain on the DMP3 high, with the gain on the Mbox mini very low. Comment today sez, NO! run the DMP3 low to minimize noise, and the Mbox mini high. ?? opinions pleze!!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:24 PM

Default Re: quik question

Run the Mbox GAIN all the way down and patch into the quarter inch LINE input. Having said all that, Is there much point to bypassing one cheap mic pre with another cheap mic pre? Not trying to be a jerk here, but just wonder what expectations you have here(and genuinely want to help). Google "gain staging" for more info on why to do it as I described, and NOT the other way around.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-14-2009, 10:35 PM

With any of the mbox series barring the digital i/o options, you really don't have much capability to make a better print. I would say with an Mbox, don't sweat anything, just make your music great however it turns out sonicly.

Your cheapest and best option for improvement from there is to find a great engineer nearby who will get you into the right studio and make your tracks sparkle. Use the mbox to find out who you are and what you have to say.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:32 AM

Thanks to both albee1952 and peppertree for your input. I've beaten this quest to death and I think I know where I'm at re: "gettin the most outta what I got!" The MboxMini is the final flavor enhancer and it isn't any better than the pre, maybe worse, but who cares anyway. At the level of this equip wysiwyg. I'm resigned to that and future equipment choices will be made more intelligently. By the way, albee1952, I did follow-up gain stage, thanks. And peppertree, you're correct when you say "find out who you are and what you have to say." Probably the best professional advice I needed to hear. I have one other new issue which I'll post later, but for the moment thank you for your support.