Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-12-2007, 10:56 AM

Default SideChains

Hi
I am hoping that someone would be able to help me out with this.
I want to put a gate on my bass track and to have it triggerd by my kick track using the side chain fin the gate.
example;
My kick is on track 1 with the input set to bus one
and the output set to my interface 1 & 2

The bass is on track 6 with the input set to bus 1
output to interface 1&2
when i look in the key input on the side chain i see list of the busses
my question is which one do i choose so that the kick can triggered my bass track, using the sidechain on the gate.

yoour help will be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

PS:I am using the Mbox2 with protools 7.3.1
Old 10-12-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: SideChains

Hey man,

If you want to sidechain you need to send some kick signal to the gate on the Bass track. put a mono send on the kick track (probably pre-fade, so you won't mess up your gate settings by moving your kick fader at a different time), use bus 2 if you're already using bus 1 for something. then select the gate on the bass track. enable the key trigger, and select bus 2 from the key source drop down menu.
now if you hit your key listen button with the bass track solo'ed, you'll here the kick in the gate rather then the bass guitar. set all your parameters accordingly and your good to go!

let me know if that helped at all,

PS
what where you hoping to do with the gate on your bass? gating all the bass note except those which fall on a kick hit? I'm just curious as normally people use a compressor on the bass to reduce the level slightly when the kick hits, to separate them a bit without excessive eq. the gate (or maybe an expander) would be a cool idea to try...

Click me...

MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz intel i7, 16GB / OSX 10.10.5 / PT 11.3.2 / UA Apollo