Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2003, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Digital music restrictions suck

I dont have superman ears or not, but just listening to mp3's and WMA files I can certainly hear things that arent supposed to be there, I wouldnt be able to stand listening to this on songs I payed for. This whole Itunes thing really is rediculous. I cant believe that enough bands have released enough **** where only 1 song would be considered "listen-worthy" fronm the entire album.

That is a shame, in my eyes anyway.

Can anyone else here vast amounts of difference in super compressed mp3's and a regular 16-bit CD?
Old 07-23-2003, 12:18 AM

I can tolerate 128mbs but any lower than that sounds like a worn out cassette tape. I bounced a song to wma the other day and didn't listen to it till after I'd sent it to other band members and got emails back from them wanting to know what that #@@$ was that I'd sent them. When I listened to it, it was terrible.. I'll stick to mp3. 128kbps or better. at least that sounds listenable.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:25 AM

Apple's mpeg4 sounds better than mp3. No doubt about it.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:43 AM

The Apple corporation is slowly taking over all entertainment technology and it is creeping into your PeeCee!!

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha!!!

Do Not Resist... You will be assimilated.

Get used to it. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2003, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Pants:
This whole Itunes thing really is rediculous. I cant believe that enough bands have released enough **** where only 1 song would be considered "listen-worthy" fronm the entire album.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">on iTunes.com, you can buy a single for 99cents or a whole album for $9.99.

Apple claims that most ppl end up buying the whole album.

besides, with iTunes.com, you get to LISTEN to a little bit of each track on an album before you buy a whole album, to make sure you're not buying filler tracks.

...so i don't know where your b*#@hing is coming from...
Old 07-23-2003, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kris whitten:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yes. and Apple's format sounds better than WMA.

besides, WMA has such anal licensing protection that sometimes, a WMA i've copyright protected won't work after a few days, ON THE COMPUTER IT WAS CREATED ON EVEN! and when i send them to friends, it becomes a send and pray situation.

..so i vowed never to use WMA again. when i get a file and it's in WMA format, i quickly change it's format to mp3 or something in Cool Edit or WaveLab.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:25 AM

By kmshroom
Quote:
Apple's format for the files on iTunes.com sound better than WMA.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">By kris whitten
Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">By kmshroom
Quote:
yes. and Apple's format sounds better than WMA.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello. Just to clear some things up guys. MPEG-4 was developed by the MPEG group, not Apple. Also, AAC is the critical audio component in iTunes, which again was not developed by Apple. Apple however was the first to offer it commercially as we know it. As for what sounds better than what, I guess it's a matter of opinion. To me it all sounds fairly bad, even AAC, or at least nowhere near as good as a CD. AAC is definitely better than MP3 in my experience. WMA sounds just as good as MP3 in my experience, just make sure you have the appropriate settings. WMA Pro can support 5.1 24/96.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Froyo:
AAC is definitely better than MP3 in my experience. WMA sounds just as good as MP3 in my experience, just make sure you have the appropriate settings.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">oh, okay, so it's not apple that made their format, huh? well, at least they seem to be the only ones embracing it thou.

but so...... you are agreeing with me and kris here (that AAC is better than mp3 and WMA).

the reason i hate WMA is not so much the sound quality; i agree, it's basically same as mp3. what i hate so much is the ridiculously anal license protection of it, which sometimes denies you EVEN WHEN IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO. that's happened to me more than once.