Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-05-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Duplicating or Repeating Audio

Hi
Newb here, looking for some help duplicating or repeating audio, Let me explain I would like to record say just a bar or 2 of a bass line and an organ part on separate tracks oof course, I tried selecting a bar recording then duplication, but the problem is when i do this the part that i duplicate does not syncronize with the the first bar, whe i play it back from the start and whe it reaches the portion of the audio that duplicate it is out of beat, I would really appreciate some help with this problem that I have.

Thank you
Old 11-05-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Duplicating or Repeating Audio

Was the original part recorded to a strict click in Pro Tools? Are you making your selection and duplication while in grid mode?

It sounds like you are not selecting the complete 2 bars, so the duplication is being done out of time. When Pro Tools duplicates, it duplicates what is selected and places it exactly at the end of the region. If the region selected and duplicated is not exactly 2 bars, the timing will be off.

Most people, when working this way to build songs, record to a strict click, and then edit in grid mode to ensure that the parts stay in time.

When not working to a click, it is much harder to select audio that is exactly in tempo, but it can be done using the tab to transient feature and a lot of careful selection and duplication.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-05-2007, 11:52 AM

no I did not record to a click, but i see what you're saying In other word I need to record at least 2 bars, correct? and once again thank you for your help, like i Said before you're the man
Old 11-05-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
no I did not record to a click, but i see what you're saying In other word I need to record at least 2 bars, correct?
Yes. To be able to select exactly 2 bars, you would need to record exactly or more than two bars. If you recorded just less than two bars, or are selecting less than, or even more than two bars, the timing will be off when you duplicate.

The best recommendation I can make to you is that if this is the way you want to work, record everything to a click, and use grid mode for editing/duplicating. Otherwise you're just asking for headaches and a lot of unnecessary work.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12