Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-21-2021, 10:41 AM

Default Re: 2021.3 Video engine and bounce to .mov crashes.

It seems that the audio elements themselves (plugins, MIDI, audio files) aren't the issue, it's PT having to manipulate the video after the bounce that's the prime culprit, yes?

So if you bounce to QT without shortening the movie it's all gravy, but ask PT to change the length of that movie and the floor drops out.

Perhaps not so simple, but coming into this thread just 5 minutes ago that's how it reads.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:45 AM

Oh, I see. So you're saying if you bounce the entire movie then it just replaces the audio without recompressing the video. But if you bounce a clip--like we all have to do all the time--it recompresses and takes forever.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:25 PM

this problem and all the workarounds.. is crazy..

avid u r a video centric business

what. the....

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 05-25-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
Oh, I see. So you're saying if you bounce the entire movie then it just replaces the audio without recompressing the video. But if you bounce a clip--like we all have to do all the time--it recompresses and takes forever.
PT includes various video parameters when bouncing MOVs, so you certainly could force alteration(s) to the video, but what I've noticed, and supported by what I'm reading here, is that PT seems less likely to crash if you keep the video as close to its original format as possible, and that includes length.

I did some bouncing to MOV yesterday, kept bounce length to the exact duration of the video, and it was smooth sailing. Ironically, it began crashing after I switched back to bouncing WAVs.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:27 PM

Interesting test..

BTW, I wanted to let the thread viewers of this posting, that I have been working with Avid closely on filing crash reports and testing various versions of what I have been experiencing prior to my consistent bounce successes along with the previous sessions that had more going on like various virtual instruments, plugins, etc. I ran Pro Res 422 movies in the same session, but with different parameters. So, I got finished with a bunch of info to the bug team via some of the Avid Team leads.

hopefully now, they will be getting this solved for us-:)

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS

Last edited by gives; 05-29-2021 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:49 PM

SO UPDATE HERE!

Had been testing this for Avid on my own time and I guess they have maybe fixed the crashing issue.

bounced a 1 sec movie bounce with Same As Source and also ProRes 422 Render and it worked without a hitch! So I guess they got it sorted.. This was ME just randomly selecting a section in the show. Same one I had crashes in recently that I sent you-:). That is where I was having a real problem with this!

So that is working well so far.. I"ll keep testing others.. They are also aware of the slow loading import thing which I"ll post at the appropriate thread.
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 06-25-2021, 04:50 AM

Done a few tests with 2021.6 this morning and it looks like it's all fixed. Even bounces to highlighted sections.

www.spoonsound.com
Old 06-25-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post
Done a few tests with 2021.6 this morning and it looks like it's all fixed. Even bounces to highlighted sections.
Yeah. I spent several weeks working with them on sending crash reports log files etc. etc. I even sent them a session that they could see what was happening.. Paired it down and made sure it still crashed. I think that helped. Seems like they were not really aware of the problem until I persisted with them. All good here now and every better improvements to movie bounce overall. I like the Same As Source option also!

G
Old 06-26-2021, 09:24 AM

Same as Source --thank you Avid, just what we needed.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Yeah. I spent several weeks working with them on sending crash reports log files etc. etc. I even sent them a session that they could see what was happening.. Paired it down and made sure it still crashed. I think that helped. Seems like they were not really aware of the problem until I persisted with them. All good here now and every better improvements to movie bounce overall. I like the Same As Source option also!

G

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.spoonsound.com