Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2008, 12:24 PM

Default Pre and Midi I/O communication - just looking for some happy

Ahhhh. My life is mostly going pretty well - general happiness - a few bumps along the way, but no worries. But trying to get communication going between these two units is threatening to knock my entire world off kilter. I have swapped cords, checked settings, done everything I can possibly think of (including the "midi communication dance"). To be clear... I get the message that says Pro Tools cannot communicate with the Pre. The message pops up constantly - you can't work with it on the screen.
Flash back. I had this happen once before. One day while crawling behind my rack, I noticed that I had the in/out cables in different ports - put them in the same one number, checked that it was set up in software and voila, it worked (it was in the wrong port from my last exhausted effort to get it to work). So, some inexplicable voodoo happened - and things were good.
Flash foward. Two weeks ago I moved some equipment around - turned everything off, unplugged and replugged things - but NOT the midi cables between the I/O and Pre. Turned everything back on - and no communication messages again. At this point, I can feel my world starting to tip. I have spent hours swapping cables, restarting, checking software setups... nothing. So, even though ostensibly I changed nothing relevant, it has stopped working again. The ONLY thing I can think of - and am not able to check because I only have one - is if there is a problem with the MIDI ports on the Pre.
I have searched the DUC, can't find anything that has helped. Please, if anyone has any insight, I just want to be happy.

Thanks,
Jared
Old 06-20-2008, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Pre and Midi I/O communication - just looking for some h

the easiest way by far to avoid any confusion in the Midi Set-up
is not to create the Pre in the AMS Midi setup page and not to create links to the Midi in and out
for instance just hook it up to the Midi # 2 port in and out
the select ports #2 in the pro tools Pre Set-up page

Also make sure the AMS midi page actually sees the Midi device
if it is gone or grayed out than that is the first problem

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 06-20-2008, 05:33 PM

It isn't in the AMS MIDI setup (the I/O is there - no cables to anything). I connected it up to 5 in/out - and then went to the peripherals dialog and set it up in the Pre tab (5 in/out, channel 1 - which is what the Pre is set to). And to be clear... it did actually work at one time (and I didn't change anything that I am aware of except turning it off/on).

Thanks

Quote:
the easiest way by far to avoid any confusion in the Midi Set-up
is not to create the Pre in the AMS Midi setup page
Old 06-20-2008, 11:17 PM

We had the problem with a G5. Now, no more problem on a Mac Pro.

This is the behavior I saw. When watching the Pro Tools splash screen, the MIDI online indicator on the MIDI I/O would light when PT got to the scanning for peripherals step, then would go back out just as PT finished loading. The work-around was to rescan midi in the AudioMidi setup window, but then I found someone who had a script for doing just that.

LINKY HERE

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-20-2008, 11:40 PM

Wow. I feel so much better - champagne corks flying and confetti all round - it is working. Thanks for the advice - I knew someone on the DUC could get me set correctly. BTW, I am using a G5, so maybe it is peculiar to this computer.

Thanks,
Jared

Quote:
We had the problem with a G5. Now, no more problem on a Mac Pro.

This is the behavior I saw. When watching the Pro Tools splash screen, the MIDI online indicator on the MIDI I/O would light when PT got to the scanning for peripherals step, then would go back out just as PT finished loading. The work-around was to rescan midi in the AudioMidi setup window, but then I found someone who had a script for doing just that.