Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-16-2001, 08:41 AM

Default Delayed record start in Pro Tools 5.1

We're running a 9600-350 with 392 ram and plenty of hard drive space. 2940UW accelerator with D24 card and 2 farms.
Lately sometimes in a session when we hit the apple-space bar to record, it take five full seconds before it starts recording. This is hideous when you have talent in the studio or even worse on an ISDN session when you've said record then have to say almost or wait a few seconds.

Then on other sessions, it works perfectly. Usually is one way or the other for the whole session.

We can't see any preference in setup that might cause this some times but not others.

Anyone esle experiencing this "depot delay?"
Old 06-16-2001, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Delayed record start in Pro Tools 5.1

If you have large hard drives and have the pref for alocate whole disk then there is some times a lag. The other one I know of is the "mute frees voice" , it can also cause a delay when enabled. Oh did pre roll get turned on by acident? that can drive you nuts.\
SK
Old 06-16-2001, 10:56 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SteveGarman:
[QB...hit the apple-space bar to record, it take five full seconds before it starts recording....[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 things to check: Are any of your drives formatted HFS+ (extended format), and is your DAE buffer size set correctly?

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 06-16-2001, 03:45 PM

There's also a preference in which you set the time limit for record. Limit that duration appropriately, as the delay can be considerable when several tracks are record enabled. It's apparently scanning all allocated drives for space enough to record the number of enabled tracks for the maximum duration, before[/I] it begins recording - hence the delay.

John Caldwell
Old 06-16-2001, 09:46 PM

I know the very problem you've got, and it's PITA. But, if you open up your transport window, then Choose the option to Display MIDI Controls for the Transport Window you'll see a little "2 Bar" box, this'll be white and this indicates a wonderful 4 second pause before recording starts. (or two bars)

Apparently it gets turned on after trashing prefs or something.. Lovely default, not!!

But yeah - if not that try all the other things mentioned here, although they point to larger problems and "system wide" issues rather than session specific anomolies.

Regards,
matt.
Old 06-17-2001, 02:48 AM

I know this might sound silly but check if some tracks on your session are allocated to your internal hard drive : this happened to me the first time I used a session template : my new session, although saved onto one of my UW 10k discs, had kept the disc allocation of the template (on the internal hard drive)...
Good luck
Mark Haliday
Old 06-18-2001, 08:00 PM

I bet you it's the recording time preference. Set it to 10 or 15 minutes in your preferences. I think it's default is "use all available disk space" or something like that.

Jerry
Nashville, TN
Old 06-19-2001, 04:07 PM

Hi,

Go to preferences and under opperation there is the choice of limiting the recording time on your drive. This is your problem here. Set the time to 10 minutes or less and you will have your instant start, stop, punch and record system back again. I was ready to switch back to 5.01 after i ran into this problem. It is definitely a 5.1 bug because i never had this happen to me before my upgrade. This will also eliminate those horrible Error 6042's that we all hate so much. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2001, 04:55 PM

On my drives I am limiting the allocation to 10 or 15 minutes. It's still slow. I end up limiting them to 5,4,3,2,1 minutes until I can no longer function. I have to optimize my drives, then I'm back to the 10 to 15 minute allocation for a while until I slowly climb back down the ladder again; then it's back to optimizing the drives again. This has all started happening since I formated d my drives with ATTO EPT. Am I better of going back to FWB without HFS+? Doing this is a major undertaking for me as I have many, many drives. From what I understand I should not mix drivers from ATTO and FWB. It should be all one or the other. So I have to archive all my drives, take everything off, reformat, reload everything. This is a major undertaking so I want to get some good information before I do it. Will going back to FWB solve my problems?

Drives are:

IBM Ultrastar

Adaptec 2940UW card with the latest firmware.

Hot swapable canisters are used so the cable run is very short to the rack where the drives are pluged in. Cable length should not be a problem.

Any ideas?
Old 06-20-2001, 04:46 PM

blairl, I used to have that SCSI card and I was told that ATTO and that card didn't get along too well, so I always used FWB. I can't tell you if the symptoms you are having are in any way related, but I never saw them. Of course, my drives were emptied and reformated pretty often, so they never got badly fragmented in the first place.