Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 12-14-2021, 09:24 AM

Default How to setup headphone jack as output?

Hi there,

I typically use my Scarlett 2i2 audio interface as a playback engine with PT, but when travelling, I prefer to use 3 things:
Midi keys (Akai MPK mini)
Laptop (PC)
Headphones.

I'm having trouble using the headphone jack in this minimalist setup. I downloaded the ASIO4ALL driver, which allows me to open PT without the "no hardware detected" error message, which is nice.

However, when I open an instrument track, I'm unable to choose headphones for the playback option.

When I open a Midi track, select "Predefined > Microsoft midi mapper > channel 1", I can now hear the midi keys, but none of the other audio tracks from my session.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm assuming it has something to do with an audio driver? I've been a mac user for years and just recently switched to PC, so I'm a bit of a novice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:27 AM

Default Re: How to setup headphone jack as output?

Hi, welcome to the community.

Usually interfaces take PT outputs 1-2 as headphone inputs, no setup necessary. But read the guide of your interface, that should explain everything.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:49 AM

In this case I'm not looking to use the audio interface.....just midi keys/laptop/headphones
Old 12-14-2021, 09:50 AM

You need interface to output anything from PT. If you mean you want to use your laptop's headphone output, then your laptop is the interface.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You need interface to output anything from PT. If you mean you want to use your laptop's headphone output, then your laptop is the interface.
And this is the case for using ASIO4ALL. When you use the interface, you should use the ASIO driver that goes with that interface. That said, running with the interface is more likely to work

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-15-2021, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayner27 View Post
Hi there,

I typically use my Scarlett 2i2 audio interface as a playback engine with PT, but when travelling, I prefer to use 3 things:
Midi keys (Akai MPK mini)
Laptop (PC)
Headphones.

I'm having trouble using the headphone jack in this minimalist setup. I downloaded the ASIO4ALL driver, which allows me to open PT without the "no hardware detected" error message, which is nice.

However, when I open an instrument track, I'm unable to choose headphones for the playback option.

When I open a Midi track, select "Predefined > Microsoft midi mapper > channel 1", I can now hear the midi keys, but none of the other audio tracks from my session.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm assuming it has something to do with an audio driver? I've been a mac user for years and just recently switched to PC, so I'm a bit of a novice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You have a slight misunderstanding of things; you don't select the headphone output as an option from any track output. If you're going straight to your audio output and not to another track you select 'main output' as the audio out. Before you get even that far hold down the 'n' key on your computer keyboard and select the audio output of your computer when you start PT up.

QAPLA!