Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-29-2021, 03:06 AM

Default Pro Tools won't record MIDI from Plugin

Hello everyone!

I searched the web for this one but no luck, so now I'm hoping to get some help from someone here. This is my situation:

After a clean install of macOS Mojave and Pro Tools 21.6 I am unable to record MIDI events from a plugin to a MIDI/Instrument track.

My process:
Create an Audio track. Insert a clip. Insert a plugin that creates MIDI events.
Create a MIDI/Instrument track. Set Input to the Plugin Output.
Arm track, start recording.

I can see the meters moving. I can "patch through" the MIDI events to another track with an Instrument plugin and it will play something. However I am unable to record the MIDI events.

I checked the MIDI Through option and unchecked MIDI input filtering.

I know this has worked in the past as I used it before, so what am I missing?

Thanks everyone!

*edit*
Thought my system info would show up here, so here it is:
Mac Mini late 2018
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Pro Tools 2021.6
Motu M2

Last edited by Heggi; 11-29-2021 at 03:09 AM. Reason: added system info
Old 11-29-2021, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools won't record MIDI from Plugin

I think more info is needed(for me anyway). Specifically what plugin generates midi data?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-29-2021, 08:48 AM

Hi Dave! I am not quite sure what information you are looking for. I set up my whole system from scratch and reinstalled everything manually.

This isn't specific to a certain plugin. I tried with Slate Trigger and also with Melda Drum Leveler, both of which can generate MIDI from audio. Sending audio from an instrument track to an audio track to record the instruments audio works fine.

Basically what I am trying to do – and what used to work on the old system – is to convert audio drum hits to MIDI events. I know that there are other ways to do that – but shouldn't this still be working?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heggi View Post
Hi Dave! I am not quite sure what information you are looking for. I set up my whole system from scratch and reinstalled everything manually.

This isn't specific to a certain plugin. I tried with Slate Trigger and also with Melda Drum Leveler, both of which can generate MIDI from audio. Sending audio from an instrument track to an audio track to record the instruments audio works fine.

Basically what I am trying to do – and what used to work on the old system – is to convert audio drum hits to MIDI events. I know that there are other ways to do that – but shouldn't this still be working?

Thanks!
We need to know what specific plugin you are using. It may not work in PT. Something to check is is the plugin you're using and the MIDI (or Instrument) track set to the same MIDI channel? Typically drum programs use MIDI channel 10.

QAPLA!
Old 11-29-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
We need to know what specific plugin you are using. It may not work in PT. Something to check is is the plugin you're using and the MIDI (or Instrument) track set to the same MIDI channel? Typically drum programs use MIDI channel 10.
I tried with both Slate Trigger and Melda Drum Leveler. Midi generation works fine with both and the Midi/Instrument tracks both are receiving Midi. I can even play another instrument with these events. Routing doesn't seem to be the problem, nor is it a plug-in not working.

I did a screen capture, maybe that will help clarify the issue?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cZg...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 11-29-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I tried with both Slate Trigger and Melda Drum Leveler. Midi generation works fine with both and the Midi/Instrument tracks both are receiving Midi. I can even play another instrument with these events. Routing doesn't seem to be the problem, nor is it a plug-in not working.

You're not hitting record in the PT transport. You're only arming the MIDI track for recording but not recording anything.

QAPLA!
Old 11-29-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:

You set Trigger to output at C1. In the video, you didn't even look down there. You didn't look any lower than C2. Middle C is C4 so why don't you try setting the Trigger output there.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-29-2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
You set Trigger to output at C1. In the video, you didn't even look down there. You didn't look any lower than C2. Middle C is C4 so why don't you try setting the Trigger output there.
Hi James!

Yes, you're right, I didn't scroll down. In clip view PT would show MIDI events regardless of their note. Also in velocity view – that's why I turned that on – you could see the velocity indicators if there were any MIDI events. And thirdly in velocity or note view, as well as inside the MIDI event window, PT would show MIDI events outside the current view as blobs at the border of the viewport.

I still checked that, though. Would have been a real bummer I've been using PT for 20 years now and I'm making my living using it. So it really bugs me to not be able to find and solve the issue. Even more so as it worked on my old system So any idea that might help I highly appreciate!
Old 11-30-2021, 01:14 AM

Quote:

It does look like you should be able to record to the MIDI track. I’m not sure why you’re routing from Trigger to the MIDI track via an Instrument track though. What happens if you record enable/record the Instrument track directly? Presumably the MIDI out of Trigger shows up as an MIDI input source on The Instrument track?
Old 11-30-2021, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
It does look like you should be able to record to the MIDI track. I’m not sure why you’re routing from Trigger to the MIDI track via an Instrument track though. What happens if you record enable/record the Instrument track directly? Presumably the MIDI out of Trigger shows up as an MIDI input source on The Instrument track?
Hi Dave!

Yes, it definitely seems like it should work...

I only set up both tracks (instrument and MIDI) to show that none are recording. With the Instrument track the screen capture is a bit sloppy I admit. Just as I started recording, the cursor reached the end of the marked area. I actually routed Trigger to both tracks independently. So it's the same with both types of track, unfortunately.

What bums me the most is that both tracks receive input signal. Still it isn't recorded.

Does anyone know about any sort of disc allocation settings for MIDI? Or do I need to give PT any special disc writing rights in macOS security settings? Audio recording seems fine though... I'm really out of ideas