Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-12-2021, 08:36 AM

Default M1 vs M1 Pro vs M1 Max

Hello

I’m about to buy a new MacBook Pro and was wondering if anyone has experiences with Pro Tools on M1 Pro or Max, whether it works, stable and whether the new processors are worth the extra money or it’s better to just get the M1 which is supported?
Old 11-12-2021, 08:41 AM

Default Re: M1 vs M1 Pro vs M1 Max

Pro Tools is not native M1 code yet. It's running under a Rosetta emulation layer right now. Nobody knows when Avid will make that happen. It might be a year from now - who knows, and by then there might be better mac options (Mac-mini, Mac-medium, iMac-Semi-Pro, etc) and you won't have spent your money on an already-outdated machine.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:41 AM

Better keep waiting, PT is not yet Apple Silicon native software, neither is iLok, and neither are plugins. Software is limiting at the moment, not ready for prime time.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:08 AM

The major difference between M1 Pro and Max, besides Max having twice as many hardware video codecs, is that Max will support 64GB of RAM vs Pro topping out at 32GB. They both have 10 high performance cores and 2 efficiency cores, so they'll have the same performance for an app like Pro Tools. If 32GB is enough RAM for what you're doing, save the money. I'm in Post Production, so sessions tend to be very large and working off servers means I need a lot of RAM to cache the sessions, so Max would be the one I would go for.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:11 AM

I would wait. There is likely "M2" around the corner, which could supposedly support 32GB (normal), 64GB (pro), and 128GB (max). And while waiting software is only just getting ready. Right now these systems are unusable for paid work, they are for testing purposes only.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:45 AM

Assuming that you need to buy a new computer now (and why else would you be asking), PT *does* work with the newest M1 Macs (via Rosetta), and assuming that you keep your computers for more than a few months, ProTools will offer Native support at some point, after which you're going to see serious benefits. The new M1 architecture is genius, and the mkII machines that were just released have built squarely on top of it. When native support for PT will arrive... no one knows for sure, but it won't be terribly long. There's pressure for Avid to bring this to us. But, again, it works as-is.

Focusing on the difference between the models, I would highly recommend looking on YouTube where there are many in-depth comparisons between the three which answer any questions you could have about their differences.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:54 PM

Ive heard the pro can run 2 monitors and the max can run 3......wonder if the hdmi output could act as a third, at the same time....or is the desktop software limited out........i NEED 3 monitors but they dont have to be 8K or 4 K , im an editor....with databases and plugins and picture and mixer open all the time....anything less and its a squinty , confusing fkn mess....
Old 11-12-2021, 05:05 PM

I am running M1 mac mini (not pro or max) and have two displays. No problem.

everymac.com says M1 max laptops can handle three external displays but M1 pro only one external display like standard M1.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:20 PM

Thank you for all your answers guys.
Pro Tools is the main thing I do so I need PT to work well. I know it does so on M1 but not on M1 Pro/Max. I just hate to buy an M1 when there is already a Pro/Max out there and my biggest concern is going from working on a 14" all the time to a 13", I hate that idea...
Old 11-13-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I am running M1 mac mini (not pro or max) and have two displays. No problem.

everymac.com says M1 max laptops can handle three external displays but M1 pro only one external display like standard M1.
M1 laptops 1 external display, M1 Pro laptops 2 external displays, M1 Max laptops 3 external displays https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-14-and-16/specs/. These things are furiously powerful and impressive and hopefully we'll see some movement on Apple Silicon native Pro Tools soon. Don't want to have to wait for "M2" (whatever that is, it's just a pipedream of a meaningless number right now). My trashcan is running hotter these days, I suspect the thermal compound on the CPU & GPUS needs replacing and I'm not massively fancying that job!

Pete