Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-24-2018, 08:13 PM

Default Pro Tools First 2018 Crashing

Hi all,

Pro Tools First keeps crashing while trying to load templates. I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface on Windows 10.

After taking nearly 15 mins. to load a template I receive a notice that "some inputs or outputs may have become inactive because your audio hardware device has changed. Some inputs are missing." > session loads (unable to interact) it almost immediately pops up the "load templates window" again, which I close because there is one already loaded and then it says "you have been signed out and "x" session will now close" > then receive "Pro Tools is unable to reacquire the hardware because it is in use with another device" (no applications open other than Pro Tools) I've tried the usual restart pc, app. and even reinstalled interface drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I plan on upgrading to full version, but not if this is what I will encounter every time.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2018, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools First 2018 Crashing

Upload track-hard fail in processes
AAE error 6001
Old 03-24-2018, 09:27 PM

You've posted in the wrong forum. You should post in the Pro Tools First forum.

They are different enough that issues with First won't show up in regular Pro Tools and solutions usable in regular Pro Tools will not work with First. First is really "beginner" with a lot of what I'd call normal things taken out. And because of those features cut out, it will react differently to normal processes (like loading templates)
Old 03-25-2018, 05:44 AM

If you are truly considering the full version of Pro Tools, rent it for a month. Pro Tools First is very different than Pro Tools. Be sure to check system requirements.

http://www.avid.com/pro-tools/compar...m-Requirements

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-25-2018, 10:45 AM

Thanks, my first post. I'll make sure to post in the appropriate forums moving forward.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:26 AM

Have a look at the "Help Us Help You" thread above each Forum for help and what we need to help you.

Have you done all the Avid optimizations? Also have a look at this thread.

Focusrite's Windows drivers are not the best. Do you have the latest drivers? Does Focusrite have a forum you can ask which drives will work best? Or possibly contact Focusrite support.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-23-2022, 02:04 PM

I'm new here and this is an old thread I'm guessing. Just joined so I guess I don't have privileges to start my own thread but I need help. Thanks in advance.I normally use Logic X Pro. I bought an interface and it came with a Free version of Pro Tools First Version 2020 9.0. I use a 2019 iMac. Monterey 12.2.1. I got signed up with Avid and am signed in to Avid. When I start Pro Tools First the window comes up but the Templates option is grayed out and there are no templates listed. I even tried saving my own Template but Pro Tools crashed. I am able to create a project. I have XPand II installed but I have only a few Plugins. No Drums, Keyboards, No Instruments. I'm on the Pro Tools Forum but have had no success so far. I realize I have the Free "First" version but others I know have that and templates and Plug Ins show up for them. I looked in File folders and I'm pretty sure everything is there. I even reinstalled it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to use it and make it functional. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1956 View Post
I'm new here and this is an old thread I'm guessing. Just joined so I guess I don't have privileges to start my own thread but I need help. Thanks in advance.I normally use Logic X Pro. I bought an interface and it came with a Free version of Pro Tools First Version 2020 9.0. I use a 2019 iMac. Monterey 12.2.1. I got signed up with Avid and am signed in to Avid. When I start Pro Tools First the window comes up but the Templates option is grayed out and there are no templates listed. I even tried saving my own Template but Pro Tools crashed. I am able to create a project. I have XPand II installed but I have only a few Plugins. No Drums, Keyboards, No Instruments. I'm on the Pro Tools Forum but have had no success so far. I realize I have the Free "First" version but others I know have that and templates and Plug Ins show up for them. I looked in File folders and I'm pretty sure everything is there. I even reinstalled it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to use it and make it functional. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to DUC.

Huh? *This* DUC is the Pro Tools forum. And you did manage to post this same message into a new thread.. Please follow the DUC rules and don't cross post the same stuff to multiple threads, you just waste other users time.

Pro Tools First was a disaster of a product (you can search DUC for hundreds and hundreds of threads about problems with First) and it has thankfully been killed off. You should not be wasting any time trying to use buggy unreliable First, even if you got it to work the chance of losing your work is well.... If you need Pro Tools you can purchase or subscribe to Pro Tools standard or just get a one month free trial. If you already are a happy Logic Pro X user there is likely little reason to move to Pro Tools, unless you want to collaborate with other Pro Tools users.

And First usually has very few instruments of amp sims or anything useful, you might have in principle gotten some more in a bundle, don't know and nobody here cares. It's deliberate incompatibility with all third party instruments and plugins means it was dead/a non-starter to most users anyhow.

Sounds harsh? I just don't want to see you wasting your time or losing work with an awful product which has been killed off anyhow. If you think you've been shortchanged on what you were promised with the interface take that up with the seller or manufacturer.

Questions/problems about Pro Tools standard or Ultimate are much more likely to get answered here.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-23-2022 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Welcome to DUC.

Huh? *This* DUC is the Pro Tools forum. And you did manage to post this same message into a new thread.. Please follow the DUC rules and don't cross post the same stuff to multiple threads, you just waste other users time.

Pro Tools First was a disaster of a product (you can search DUC for hundreds and hundreds of threads about problems with First) and it has thankfully been killed off. You should not be wasting any time trying to use buggy unreliable First, even if you got it to work the chance of losing your work is well.... If you need Pro Tools you can purchase or subscribe to Pro Tools standard or just get a one month free trial. If you already are a happy Logic Pro X user there is likely little reason to move to Pro Tools, unless you want to collaborate with other Pro Tools users.

And First usually has very few instruments of amp sims or anything useful, you might have in principle gotten some more in a bundle, don't know and nobody here cares. It's deliberate incompatibility with all third party instruments and plugins means it was dead/a non-starter to most users anyhow.

Sounds harsh? I just don't want to see you wasting your time or losing work with an awful product which has been killed off anyhow. If you think you've been shortchanged on what you were promised with the interface take that up with the seller or manufacturer.

Questions/problems about Pro Tools standard or Ultimate are much more likely to get answered here.
Ok.Thanks for giving me the hard core facts. I will stick with Logic. Doesn't make sense that a company would give you a product that does not work for Free. Thanks for setting things straight. I did not think it would be such a big deal to get this to work but I guess this version was full of bugs. Not a good first impression, that's for sure.
Old 03-23-2022, 03:00 PM

You are welcome, and thanks for helping me discover that it looks like the First forums were removed from DUC. So of course (unlike what I said) a new user like yourself won't easily see the litany of problems folks had in the past. That is not cool behavior by Avid.