Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2004, 08:33 AM

Default millenia preamps: classical music and schoeps?

Would the millenia preamp be a good alternate choice to the grace/earthworks? I'm recording using a pair of Schoeps MK 41s...

Also which AD/DA would be recommended?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Re: millenia preamps: classical music and schoeps?

To me, the millena is a very warm pre with a lot of detail though still a little dark, not bright in the top end.

The schoeps are very natural, true to the source.

Never tried the combo.

Get em and try em first, if you can.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:28 PM

Millenia HV3 preamps are comparable. Don't go with any of their tube preamps (not that they're bad, just that they are not comparible to Grace/earthworks). I've used the HV3-D 8 channel preamp several times. Once on a rock drum tracking session, Once for a funk horn section, and the third time was for an 18 piece string section film scoring session. To me it's very neutral sounding. You don't notice the sound of the preamp like you would with a Neve or an API. Personally, I liked them. I wouldn't mind owning an 8 channel unit, anyone willing to donate one?

But the real test is to try one for yourself. Call a rental company in your area and see if you can rent one for a day or two. That would be the only way to know for sure if they are the right match for you.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 08-04-2004, 06:53 PM

I have had outstanding results using my Schoeps mics with the AMEK 9098 Dual Channel mic preamp (also includes M/S decoding). I've found nothing better, especially considering the M/S control.