Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2001, 03:50 PM

Default question : can i copy/paste all my computer hard/soft to other computer . for a gig.

what i want to do is to rap all my comp stuff : 2HDs , 1 digi card , 1 dual screen card .
and install ALL on a "same" computer the orgenizer will arrenge ...
what you think ?

is it safe ...?
now safe would go also to my 2HDs
in regards to AIRPORT SCANING !!!
bumps >i'll have to face that they will meet
few bapms on theyr trip ..no ? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

will it work in regards to other G4 manufacture ID .seriall no" ...?

if my system is G4 450sp and i'll get
G4 say dual 800 ... thats what i'm afraid of ..

thanx for any answers ,,,
out

and yes its in the states [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] so i might face few feds saying > mmm come with me please [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2001, 08:50 PM

Default Re: question : can i copy/paste all my computer hard/soft to other computer . for a gig.

Just to confirm, you want to send your computer stuff over seas, separately without your computer?

firstly use original packaging where possible.

secondly, use anti-static bags for everything

Thirdly, make sure there is sufficient paking around all objects. large size bubble wrap is good.

nextly, use largish boxes if possible and makesure they are well padded. you don't want anything moving in there and you don't want anything being damaged by the careless baggage handlers.

lastly, make sure the boxes are well taped and marked with highly visible 'fragile' stickers. attach the delivery address in large print securely on the front of the box, including a contact number at that end.

I don't believe the airport xrays do anything to the data on a hard disk.

as to the serial # stuff. I dunno
Old 10-10-2001, 01:00 AM

Default Re: question : can i copy/paste all my computer hard/soft to other computer . for a gig.

The best thing you can do is to try to arrange some type of "dumbed down" version of what you will need when you get there.

If they will just be playing back your content, then why not mix it down to a CD or DAT and get them to play that.

Even if they need to sync, then they can sync to the DAT just as easy as to a PT system.

Just a thought.

Of course if they absolutely NEED to whole PT enviroment on the other end, then all you can really do is to send a machine over setup all ready to go.

Probably best bet is to get two duplicate machines with the same software, and then use something like retrospect to backup/restore between them, getting it all to work locally.

Now getting the other machine up to date is simply a matter of running retrospect against the other machine with the "new stuff".

Of course if the other machine is identical in every way, then you should be able to just swap HD's, cards and it will just run.

But the easiest is to just dumb down one end so that they are just using the mixes.

my 0.02.
Old 10-10-2001, 05:06 AM

thanx for the your answers .
i will NEVER send this stuff with the baggage , toodamn scary ...
i'll putt all stuff with me on the plain
whichi think will be a problem in some air ports in the US now (which is should be btw......)

but its now like the chiken and the egg [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
what is safer ?
to bring all my comp stuff or
just bring my comp ...
?
please about different MHZ G4s any idea ? , couse i think a 800mhz system will work better on live then my old atari
G4 450mhz [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , but what about any internal HDs tags of the old papa(450)?
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
thanx again ..
Old 10-10-2001, 07:41 AM

I tried putting my system disk in another similar computer and it didn't work. You may have better luck. Computer would not recognize my system disk. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2001, 08:25 AM

I would ship the entire computer after making a backup of all the files.

I don't feel comfortable with taking pieces to install into a computer overseas. Before a trip like that, I like to make sure everything works HERE before I go THERE.

I just shipped audio/video stuff across the country to Canada and everything arrived safely.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 10-10-2001, 01:23 PM

it sure doesnt sound as a quest for the origin Hdisks ,,,

maybe i'll have to buy 2new Hdisk to do this
" just in case " ...
Old 10-10-2001, 02:21 PM

You are looking for trouble. The chances are the computer at the other end may not have the same firmware, etc... installed. I have had to send my stuff around, including sending my computer to the Netherlands for a jazz fest. Trust me, get a Marathon PowerRack and a good flightcase and send it all together. The Marathon has room for 3 internal HDs, a zip and 2 CDRs all shock mounted. I have my 733 with 3 internal HDs, a zip drive, a DVD-R and a DVD-RAM in the Marathon, the Digi 001 and a PreSonus Digimax all in a SKB 6 space ATA rack. Never had a problem. Make sure you have very high quality voltage transformers, if you are leaving the country.
Old 10-10-2001, 05:26 PM

yes firmware >
where do i check it now

i cant handle caring macs and racks ...
i'll have to ask to do tests on few macs ..
it should'nt be that resiky aint it

muchas gracias
Old 10-10-2001, 08:38 PM

The Apple System Profiler is the best place to check. It's under the Apple Menu. You will get alot of info on the machines from there.