Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2001, 08:11 PM

Default Control Panel - Sound = Problems

I have had some trouble with the Control Panel. God knows why there are now 2 Digidesign options, of which one the 2nd works (I don't think the 1st one does)...

AND, there are 2 Built In options.

WHAT!

Juergen
Old 06-10-2001, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Control Panel - Sound = Problems

That is not normal. You should trash your sound preferences.

(always make backups!)
Old 06-12-2001, 05:54 PM

You haven't given your system specs. I would venture to guess that you need to remove the Digidesign control panel on older systems and if you are using 9.x you need to disable the Digidesign Sound Drivers extension (v. 1.42), delete the sound preferences and restart your computer and see if this solves your problem. Good Luck!!
Old 06-15-2001, 06:06 PM

Mh...I already trashed my sound prefs, must have done it a dozen times now. I am sorry for not giving my system specs. Here they are:

G4 400 Mhz
256 MB RAM
OS 9.01 (is 9.1 more stable than mine?)
10 GB 5400rpm HD
28 GB 7200rpm HD

With a clean install...do I just back up files on my main drive? Or do I back up EVERYTHING, even stuff on my 4 'lil partitions on my audio drive? (that would take a whole bunch of CD-Rs).

Thanks for the suggestions! The comp is in the studio, but will try it tomorrow (disabling the ext and trashing pref).

Juergen
Old 06-17-2001, 01:50 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Juergen:

With a clean install...do I just back up files on my main drive? Or do I back up EVERYTHING, even stuff on my 4 'lil partitions on my audio drive? (that would take a whole bunch of CD-Rs).
Juergen
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, in theory, if your audio drive (that's what has the 4 partitions) - files are working correctly, you shouldn't worry about it (even though you should backup anyways).

As for the clean install, since it's on a different drive, backup the files you know you need (like I said earlier, backup everything if you're in doubt) from the earlier (Previous) System Folder.

Then when you have the new, clean system folder you can just drag them over to it. Now, personaly, when I do "Clean Install's", I do it from scratch. I.E.; I erase everything (if I really have that much downtime, I'll re-format, zero all data, and finaly-> ) re-initialize the drive. It's very time-consuming, but it basicly deep cleans the entire drive, mapping out any physicaly damaged blocks preventing anything to be written there (if they exist that is).

The great (the downfall= TOO MUCH TIME) thing about doing it this way, is that you have the absolute minimum of fragmentation.

So, there's a few ways to do a clean install, but it's up to you what you wanna do.