Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 04:46 AM

Default Clear Selected removes unselected files? 6.4.1MIX

Has anyone else experienced this? I attempted to clear a file, only it was selected. Clicked remove, Protools removed this file but also asked if I wanted to remove several others that weren't selected.

This is a very dangerous bug if it is on fact a bug. Especially since it is the last version for MIX systems.

PT 6.4.1 MIX

Thanks
Old 12-12-2005, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Clear Selected removes unselected files? 6.4.1MIX

Yes this I´ve seen this. Bug in 6.4.1 and 6.7 AFAIK. Be extremely carefull with this function. PT clears stuff it has in the undo buffer sometimes.

Frank.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:24 AM

Does anyone know if Digi addressed this? It's particularly bad for MIX system users who could be stuck with a version of the program that has a very destructive bug.

Have users of 6.4 been avoiding the 'select unused regions'>'clear selected' routine to clean up sessions? I'm curious if this is as distressing and problematic to other users as it is to me.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:15 PM

I run into this bug pretty much daily... it's a potential showstopper, bummer it wasn't caught. It only crops up (on my rig) when the region bin is showing a subset of files (because I've performed a shift-cmd-F find).

Workaround is to always "Display All" shift-cmd-D and re-select the regions you're removing, then do Clear Selected.

hope this helps

-jeremiah
Old 12-12-2005, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the input and the work-around.

To me it's the shear destructive nature of this bug (I'd hate to have clicked delete instead of remove and have this happen) that makes it untenable that it was never addressed.

If there are any additional thoughts on this I'd be glad to hear them.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:43 PM

The workaround is the only way to solve this problem currently. I would suggest that Digi is probably not going to fix it as this software is end of lIne, but I hear your pain. Some of our effects editors have done this and it has driven them crazy, particularly when they Delete files that are used in other parts of the session. It was enough of a problem to make us upgrade to HD as soon as possible, as it is fixed in the V7.0 software. The added advantages of the V7 software make up for the pain of having to find the cash for the upgrade. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Regards
Simon L.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:52 PM

Yes, this has been a problem for a while. I myself have posted at least a couple of threads about it over the last couple of years. If you need to archive your sessions, I've found that creating a fresh session and importing tracks (and copying new audio files) is the best way to go. Otherwise, save session copy (but of course that defeats the purpose of "removing unused").

Also, if you really need it to work, the command functions properly if it's the first thing you do after opening the session. Somehow, PT gets confused after you've done some random number of editing moves or similar. So, if you remove unused from a newly opened session, it works properly (just don't do anything else before you initiate the command).

Good luck, and I hope this didin't bite you on an important gig.

S.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. Is the 'display all regions' work-around reliable?