Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-25-2002, 01:45 AM

Default new ram

i called the apple store for princing info for ram memory. I then saw the prices of simelar ram that was half the price. Is there a snob thing going on(=you pay also for the "logo") or does it really makes a difference? what worked for you?
Old 12-25-2002, 08:56 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...
Default Re: new ram

FWIW, never buy anything from the Apple store. Not 'cause it's bad or anything. You will always pay a FULL retail price, though. Kingston and Crucial RAM are always good to use in Macs. I just installed a 256MB stick of Centon in my G4 w/ no problems. Now is a great time to buy RAM- w/ the manufacturers rebate I ended up paying $20 for the aforementioned memory...I should've gotten a 512MB stick, but it was a little out of the budget... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2002, 11:11 PM

Yup, forget about the Apple store. Go to http://dealram.com for pricing.

6am eternal
Old 12-27-2002, 02:16 PM

http://www.crucial.com/

Usually the cheapest and always the best. Think it's an extra 10% off if you order online.

I've ordered lot's of RAM from a number of different places, and have had issues with others in both quality of the product and the service.

Beware -- all RAM is not created equal, so finding the cheapest is not always the best idea. I've never had any problems with Crucial.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:00 PM

1-800-4-memory has always given me great prices and service.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Beware -- all RAM is not created equal, so finding the cheapest is not always the best idea. I've never had any problems with Crucial.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've always looked for the cheapest and bought it. Never had any problems. As long as they have a return policy and you pay with a credit card with fraud protection (i.e. Visa or Mastercard), you're safe.

Last time I bought was from 1-800-4 MEMORY, too. Went fine.

6am eternal
Old 12-30-2002, 12:13 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Kickin.da.speaker:
[QB]
Quote:
I've always looked for the cheapest and bought it. Never had any problems. As long as they have a return policy and you pay with a credit card with fraud protection (i.e. Visa or Mastercard), you're safe.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not saying that all RAM that is cheap is bad-- just to be careful of what and where you buy. Being able to return stuff is great (and also a hassle) but, not having to return stuff is better and probably worth the possible extra $5. Most places don't cover return ship[ping either.

I've upgraded and maintained more than 20 Macs over the past 12 years and have had some problems with RAM (though infrequent). Sometimes bad RAM will cause problems that you would not immediately expect to be RAM related, ie. frequent app crashes, OS errors, bus errors, etc. Many times people wrongly attribute these problems to software.

The machine might startup great, but other things might not be *quite right*. I've also experienced machines that don't startup because of bad RAM, or more oddly, startup on a second try (didn't startup the first time but after pressing the reset button they boot fine).

You get what you pay for, but paying top dollar doesn't always mean that you're getting the best.