Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2013, 03:38 PM

Default RTAS/AAX Wrapper?

As we all know at this point, there are many plugins that are, not only not yet AAX, but many manufacturers that have stated their plugs will NEVER be. For many of us, this poses a serious dilema. For many of us that means we will, at very least, NEVER be able to retire PT 10. Or have to buy VEPro. That's not good. I ALREADY have grown weary of switching back and forth, and I'm mainly using 10 anyway. I think that perhaps even Avid(if someone else hasn't already) should consider a RTAS/AAX wrapper. I know Sugarbytes did the VST/AAX wrapper, and Avid killed it. But this is a little different, since Avid has killed RTAS, and SO MANY plugins are rendered obsolete by PT11.

Anyone concur?

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 09-02-2013, 04:03 PM

Default Re: RTAS/AAX Wrapper?

Couldn't concur more

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-02-2013, 05:28 PM

It has been stated that they will not allow a wrapper. It has also been stated that they will allow a loader (an AAX plugin that can load VST plugins) a la Nomad Factory's Magma. Magma doesn't yet support VST instruments and I don't know if NF plans on adding that function.

Parroted by me & Tapasquawk 1

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 09-02-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
It has been stated that they will not allow a wrapper.
Yeah. Well, they stated some things about the CPTK too. Enough people spoke up, and they changed it. This is a very serious issue(as serious as a DAW-related issue might be) and needs to be addressed. Avid is basically strong-arming manufacturers into AAX, and some of them have basically said "[bleep] you, we're not gonna be bothered with this." Which is fine for the manufacturer, but not so good for ME(and users like myself), who have INTEGRAL VI's and other things that will not be ported to this format(my Duende SSL plugs, for one epitomic example). Now, that's not our fault. Why should we suffer for it? SOMEBODY(Eh, em...AVID) needs to compromise. This is a good way to do that. I don't wanna have to use 2 versions of my DAW because Avid want's to play tough guy. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds jumping back and forth between them cumbersome, even confusing sometimes. You mean I'm gonna have to do this, FOREVER? And I TOTALLY understand some manufacturers position. Most of them already support AU/VST/VST2/VST3/RTAS/TDM, and most ALL other DAWs operate with the first 4 of those formats(4. Starting to see a pattern here, with our proprietary DAW?). Now Avid(or DAvid, as I sometimes like to call them) throws a new format into the mix. Some companies simply don't have the resources(and not all of them small. Are you following the Lexicon drama? And [bleep] like this is REALLY interfering with my work. I'm not a hobbyist. I don't have a "day job") to deal with porting. I'm tired of David's "our way or the highway" attitude about every damned thing. And I'm tired looking down this road at all the frustration yet to come because of the introduction of AAX(AND I KNOW THE HDX CROWD FEELS ME ON THIS). This seems a simple, even obvious solution. Maybe if enough of us are willing to speak up, David will listen...

So, we speakin' up, or what? Everybody who feels this, come on in and at least add a "+1"...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 09-02-2013, 08:32 PM

I'm not into wrappers, I'd prefer that plug in developers either port to AAX 64 bit, or I'll use another plug
That being said I do use VEP pro5 for VI that will never be ported to AAX , I have used it as a Aux buss as well , for use with UA lex 224 and other plugs till they are ported.
I do agree its a complete drag having plugs you depend on not being AAX 64 yet, or perhaps never,but for PT moving forward I believe it's been a much smoother transition than Mix system to HD accel,
I feel the new system is well worth the growing pains, and you can still work on PT 10 which has many years of usefulness if you need it to
Just my 2 cents:)
Windows 10 Pro
2013 MacBook Pro Retina i7 Quad-core, 16gb ram.
Mac OSX 10.11.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 128 GB 1866 MHZ DDR3
Graphics AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

PT Ultimate 2022.4.0 on Mac
PT Ultimate 2020.12 on Windows
Logic Pro X 10.6
Nuendo 12.0
1_Antelope Audio_Orion Synergy Core Studio
Old 09-02-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
Yeah. Well, they stated some things about the CPTK too. Enough people spoke up, and they changed it. This is a very serious issue(as serious as a DAW-related issue might be) and needs to be addressed. Avid is basically strong-arming manufacturers into AAX, and some of them have basically said "[bleep] you, we're not gonna be bothered with this." Which is fine for the manufacturer, but not so good for ME(and users like myself), who have INTEGRAL VI's and other things that will not be ported to this format(my Duende SSL plugs, for one epitomic example). Now, that's not our fault. Why should we suffer for it? SOMEBODY(Eh, em...AVID) needs to compromise. This is a good way to do that. I don't wanna have to use 2 versions of my DAW because Avid want's to play tough guy. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds jumping back and forth between them cumbersome, even confusing sometimes. You mean I'm gonna have to do this, FOREVER? And I TOTALLY understand some manufacturers position. Most of them already support AU/VST/VST2/VST3/RTAS/TDM, and most ALL other DAWs operate with the first 4 of those formats(4. Starting to see a pattern here, with our proprietary DAW?). Now Avid(or DAvid, as I sometimes like to call them) throws a new format into the mix. Some companies simply don't have the resources(and not all of them small. Are you following the Lexicon drama? And [bleep] like this is REALLY interfering with my work. I'm not a hobbyist. I don't have a "day job") to deal with porting. I'm tired of David's "our way or the highway" attitude about every damned thing. And I'm tired looking down this road at all the frustration yet to come because of the introduction of AAX(AND I KNOW THE HDX CROWD FEELS ME ON THIS). This seems a simple, even obvious solution. Maybe if enough of us are willing to speak up, David will listen...

So, we speakin' up, or what? Everybody who feels this, come on in and at least add a "+1"...
I done wrote and deleted a response twice. Perhaps another method of communication would be more appropriate. Hopefully you can see the parallel. I particularly like the breakdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpugp6DIb3I

_

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 09-03-2013, 03:51 AM

This is progress. It's not always smooth. Apple has done similar things and so have other companies. I'm finding some nice alternatives to most of my Waves plugins. I've been using 11 since day 1. Worth the pain right now.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
AU/VST/VST2/VST3/RTAS/TDM, and most ALL other DAWs operate with the first 4 of those formats(4. Starting to see a pattern here, with our proprietary DAW?). Now Avid(or DAvid, as I sometimes like to call them) throws a new format into the mix. Some companies simply don't have the resources(and not all of them small. Are you following the Lexicon drama? And [bleep] like this is REALLY interfering with my work. I'm not a hobbyist. I don't have a "day job") to deal with porting. I'm tired of David's "our way or the highway" attitude about every damned thing. And I'm tired looking down this road at all the frustration yet to come because of the introduction of AAX(AND I KNOW THE HDX CROWD FEELS ME ON THIS). This seems a simple, even obvious solution. Maybe if enough of us are willing to speak up, David will listen...

Couldn't agree more.
Avid created this problem when they decided to again go with a proprietary DSP solution and plugin formats.

It's no better wasting your hobby time on this garbage than as a pro.
As a pro. I could at least write the down time off as a business expense.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:53 AM

What is stoping you from using PT 10? Isn't the old PT proprietary? A majority wanted a new 64 bit PT, now you have it, now you want the old to work with it.. PT 10 rocks and will continue to do so, get some work done
Also if its that big of deal, switch DAWs, there are a lot more option these days
Windows 10 Pro
2013 MacBook Pro Retina i7 Quad-core, 16gb ram.
Mac OSX 10.11.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 128 GB 1866 MHZ DDR3
Graphics AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

PT Ultimate 2022.4.0 on Mac
PT Ultimate 2020.12 on Windows
Logic Pro X 10.6
Nuendo 12.0
1_Antelope Audio_Orion Synergy Core Studio
Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 AM

I rather see the entire Avid management "team" switched than switch DAW's.
When RTAS/TDM were developed Digidesign owned the DAW space.
That time is long past.
Avid has lead a miserable PT11 launch that leaves users with a half product months later.
The least Avid can do is get out of the way so others can produce a half solution.