Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 12-07-2019, 03:16 PM

Default "Unable to import some files because quicktime is not installed"

That's the error I'm getting now when trying to import any kind of video file. From my three hours of internet futility, I understand Apple has ceased support for Quicktime for Windows, and that Avid was working on a workaround. Does anyone know if there is a solution to this? As it stands, I cannot add any video files to my Pro Tools sessions, which is a bit of a kick in the teeth when you're doing a film soundtrack...

I have tried a new install of Pro Tools (twice), before and after reinstalling Quicktime. Quicktime Player just says I need to install Apple Application Support, which I also cannot find.

My specs:
Windows 10 64-bit, Intel i7-8700 3.20 GHz, 6 cores, 32 GB RAM, SSD for main Windows drive and Pro Tools, instruments on a combination of internal HDD and external SSD (USB 3.0), Pro Tools sessions stored on internal HDD, running Pro Tools 2018.12.0, with a Scarlett Solo audio interface.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:00 PM

Default Re: "Unable to import some files because quicktime is not installed"

For Audio, here’s a great way to install the QuickTime you need for Pro Tools on Windows, without the stuff that’s flagged as “bad”:

https://www.pro-tools-pc.com/apple-q...security-risk/

Don't know whether the "Quicktime Web Plug-In" is required for Video (I don't use Video) - see the above link for details
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 12-07-2019 at 04:11 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-07-2019, 04:08 PM

Apple Application Support is installed with iTunes. You can selectively uninstall any parts of iTunes and the Apple stuff you don't want after the install.

The most recent QT for Windows is here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL837?v...S&locale=en_US and may have the App Support included.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 12-08-2019, 07:16 AM

Thanks, but I've tried that particular QuickTime installer five times now to no avail. Even when I custom install to just have the QuickTime Essentials, I get the same Pro Tools error when trying to import any video file. Any other ideas?
Old 12-08-2019, 08:09 AM

If it's still asking you to install Apple Application Support, install iTunes for Windows. That installs both the 32 and 64 bit Apple App Support. You can check to see what's already installed in the Programs and Features Control Panel.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 12-08-2019, 08:17 AM

Unfortunately, I can't even get that far anymore as I can no longer find any executable QuickTime program to test. That's where I got the "Apple Application Support" error before. I'm trying a full system wipe and reinstall first, and if I'm still getting the QuickTime error in Pro Tools, I'll try installing iTunes and let you know.

Wish me luck...
Old 12-10-2019, 12:49 PM

Well hallelujah, that worked. All I had to do was wipe my entire system clean and start over again. Three days later after reinstalling all my Stuff, I can now import DNxHD videos into Pro Tools.

No problem whatsoever.