Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2012, 05:25 PM

Default Create new track using 'new track' in SENDS menu - output hardware instead of bus?

When I Create new track using 'new track' in SENDS menu, the output is sent to a hardware instead of bus - but it used to not be like this. So now when I want to bus a group of tracks out to an AUX this way, it creates an inactive hardware i/o path and just deadends my workflow for until I reroute manually. Any way to change this option? I've searched the forums, the manual, and the PT drop down menus..

PT 10.0.1 on OSX 10.6.8 with an RME Babyface btw

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Create new track using 'new track' in SENDS menu - output hardware instead of bus

Bump, still need help with this..
Old 06-10-2012, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Create new track using 'new track' in SENDS menu - output hardware instead of bus

2 solutions(aka "workarounds") that may work(but what you are asking for is really not feasible), create the track first, as we did in the days before this "new track" feature, or build yourself a session with these custom features in place, and instead of creating the new track, go to File>Import Session Data and import the appropriate track from your custom "source" session. I use this method when adding an Instrument track for DB-33. When I simply add DB-33 to a session, none of the controls are mapped to my VOCE drawbar midi controller, so by importing the pre-mapped track/plugin from a pre-built session, allows the imported Instrument track to operate with all mapping in place.

After further thought, are you forgetting the option that is presented where you can choose the kind of "new track" you are adding? When I use the Send>New Track function, I can choose mono or stereo, AND between audio and AUX type. Or am I not understanding something?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-25-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
2 solutions(aka "workarounds") that may work(but what you are asking for is really not feasible), create the track first, as we did in the days before this "new track" feature, or build yourself a session with these custom features in place, and instead of creating the new track, go to File>Import Session Data and import the appropriate track from your custom "source" session. I use this method when adding an Instrument track for DB-33. When I simply add DB-33 to a session, none of the controls are mapped to my VOCE drawbar midi controller, so by importing the pre-mapped track/plugin from a pre-built session, allows the imported Instrument track to operate with all mapping in place.

After further thought, are you forgetting the option that is presented where you can choose the kind of "new track" you are adding? When I use the Send>New Track function, I can choose mono or stereo, AND between audio and AUX type. Or am I not understanding something?
The type of track it creates (AUX vs AUDIO vs Instrument) is fine, it's just the default route it chooses. It sends it out an invalid hardware output instead of the bus sends..

Here's a screen shot of what happens (see snr + clp tracks):
http://imgur.com/Da97a

Sometimes, when it works, it would set their outputs through a bus, but instead it sends them out inactive hardware outputs. Not fun...
Old 07-07-2012, 09:55 PM

Please, anyone? I can't believe other people aren't having this problem - this really kills my workflow!
Old 07-08-2012, 09:06 AM

I/O Setup / Bus / Default Output Bus

Set your preferred path.

OK.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:17 AM

I don't know if the "set default output track reverting back to 1-2 everytime you reopen the session" has been fixed or not but the trick of setting the default output track and then moving it to the top of the IO list does work to keep it from resetting when you reopen the session.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:57 PM

Thanks for helping guys, but this isn't solving my problem. I am not talking about a default output when you create a new track from "shift+cmd+n" or from the drop down menu - I am talking about default output when creating a new track from the "SENDS" menu. Changing I/O settings doesn't affect this..
Old 07-08-2012, 08:08 PM

It appears to be working correctly for me. According to the reference guide it should only be a bus, not a hdwr insert.

Also, your screenshot makes it look like you were using "New track" from the outputs selector, not the sends selector? Or did you make the track then delete the send? I can't seem to make multiple assignments at the same time so I am assuming that you are manually assigning these outputs like that. If so then I don't really see how much time the "new track" feature is saving you, perhaps there is a better/similar way. Maybe just make your new Aux first, then it will be available in the sends>track> list (or track outputs, whatever you are actually doing)

I would suggest updating your Protools to 10.2, perhaps that will clear out a bugged preference..
Old 07-09-2012, 03:12 AM

I've been having this problem too. Makes bouncing stems take just that little longer... not fun.
I've also been having another problem. I make a template, and create two sends, 3-4 for verb and 5-6 for delay. After opening another session which used the same template, and then going back to the other, all the sends get made 3-4, so i end up with two 3-4 sends on each track, and I have to reroute all the delay ones to the right send. This is very frustrating and I don't see why this would happen, it happens whether "Sessions overwrite I/o" is on or off :/
anyone else having this problem?

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com