Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2000, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Plug in preset question

Yes, changing the preset changes the characteristics of the preset. You will notice that the preset name goes italic as soon as you start to turn a knob, move a fader, or press a button. Whether the change is more or less "neve-like" depends on your taste, experience, or sheer dumb luck. In any case, a "neve" preset won't magically turn your plug-in into a neve, it just tries to mimick the general settings using what it has to work with. It's like driving your Toyota at 90 mph and saying it's a Ferrari cuz it can go the same speed.

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 11-11-2000, 12:13 AM

Default Plug in preset question

All right gentleman I have a question. With regards to Plug in presets, let's say a
compressor or eq, does changing parameters within the preset in a sense undo the
preset's charactersitics? In other words if you have a program that emulates a Neve
eq, can you manipulate all of the available parameters whithin the preset in the
same way that you would be able to with an actual Neve strip while maintaining
the inherent "Neveness"? Thanks from a beginner!
Old 11-12-2000, 10:17 AM

I very much appreciate your response to my question Angelo, thanks. You've pretty much cleared this up for me in that I just wasn't sure how changing things like attack and release times within a preset environment would affect the "modelled" sound. I'll just consider the presets as starting points for dialing in what I need. Thanks again!
Old 11-12-2000, 11:34 AM

beware the digirack comps and lims.

they sound best with a fat attack, and small gain reduction.

this took me a while to figure out.

i have a fascination with zero-style attack that's been known to get me in trouble!

i spent a while building a limiter in "C" that merely set every sample to 77% of its max possible value. the waveform looks like a stick of butter.

please don't try to do that.

its a neat trick at parties though.

p.s. you will probably get better luck with a nice analog comp. digital comps tend to have a grainy edge, that while immediatly unnoticable at times, later in the mix it will show up.