Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Default External drive Oxford 934 chipset

This is my first post - I trust this may be helpful to someone.

I have a newly installed Pro Tools HD Accel 2 system running Pro Tools 8 on a PowerMac G5. And I have been unable to record or playback from my external drive - always receiving DAE 9131 errors when I record and DAE 9060 errors when I playback existing material.

I'm using a G-Tech Drive Q 1 TByte external drive, which G-Tech advertises as Pro Tools compatible - and it probably is for most applications. However it uses the Oxford 934 chipset, which Digi indicates is untested - and I couldn't get it to work with FW 800 or 400 or USB 2 connections on any port - same errors. My Mac says the drive is fine - OS Extended Journaled and ready to go as an audio record ready drive. But Pro Tools won't use it.

I finally attached an older (Lacie) drive, formatted the same way, and everything works fine.

I'm guessing that Pro Tools is not handling the older PCI-x bus architecture on my PowerMac with the 934 chipset. I may be wrong, but it all points that way. For what it's worth.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:05 PM

Default Re: External drive Oxford 934 chipset

I doubt it's a PCIx issue, it's more likely a firewire chipset compatibility issue. If the other drive works fine, the firewire chipset in your computer is fine... I would guess that the firewire chipset in the G-Tech enclosure is either defective or incompatible with Pro Tools.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the info. I have been wanting to add some firewire drives, as my older ADS cases with oxford 911 chipset don't work with the newer larger drives. I have been using the second internal SATA inside my G-5 PPC, but I need back up solution. Anyone know a good reliablealternative?
I have an HD accel 3 system, so external SATA isn't possible. I have thought about cutting a hole in the mesh of my G-5 to get a SATA cable out of the G-5 for external SATA drives.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:39 PM

We have been having problems with new G-Tech drives blowing their bridge boards

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortyKvack View Post
This is my first post - I trust this may be helpful to someone.

I have a newly installed Pro Tools HD Accel 2 system running Pro Tools 8 on a PowerMac G5. And I have been unable to record or playback from my external drive - always receiving DAE 9131 errors when I record and DAE 9060 errors when I playback existing material.

I'm using a G-Tech Drive Q 1 TByte external drive, which G-Tech advertises as Pro Tools compatible - and it probably is for most applications. However it uses the Oxford 934 chipset, which Digi indicates is untested - and I couldn't get it to work with FW 800 or 400 or USB 2 connections on any port - same errors. My Mac says the drive is fine - OS Extended Journaled and ready to go as an audio record ready drive. But Pro Tools won't use it.

I finally attached an older (Lacie) drive, formatted the same way, and everything works fine.

I'm guessing that Pro Tools is not handling the older PCI-x bus architecture on my PowerMac with the 934 chipset. I may be wrong, but it all points that way. For what it's worth.
This sounds like a couple things could be happening. If this is on a G5, most likely you have that drive formatted with a GUID partition map, instead of APM. You can check this in the Disk Utility - if it's GUID, you'll need to reformat with APM for it to work as a record drive on a G5.

Another possibility is that you have it formatted 'Case Sensitive'.

Lastly, are you using any illegal characters in the file path - drive name, folder names, file names, etc?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:01 PM

10-to-1 odds it's the GUID vs APM formatting issue. I've run into the exact same problem on my old G5, it throws -9131s followed by -9060s.