Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2017, 08:47 AM

Default How to modulate vocals EDM style? HELP

I am working with pro tools 9 and want to chop and screw and modulate some vocal samples. You know how in a lot of EDM, dubstep, Trap music the vocals are stuttered and modulated so much it almost sounds like a synth or virtual instrument? Is there a way I can do that in pro tools 9 with a stock plug in? Please Help!
Old 05-17-2017, 10:26 AM

Default Re: How to modulate vocals EDM style? HELP

No way ever. You need a VI or 5 like Melodyne and Stutter Edit and modulation delays that is NOT a Avid stock plugin. Relayer will do the job. Then i would say you NEED Autotune. We have worked with some of the guys you hear everydayon the radio and in clubs and it isn't as easy to do as some will say here.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-17-2017, 11:48 AM

ok great thank you for the feedback. since you seem familiar with the type of music im referring I was also wondering if you could recommend a good plug-in virtual instrument (similar to xpand2) that has a lot of good contempary electronic sounds? (and vocal sounds) ive looked into Massive and Komplete. is ther one you would possibly recommend? free would be preferable but not necessary but it needs to be compatible with pro tools 9. I noticed the free Komplete download is only compatible with 10 and above
Old 05-17-2017, 11:53 AM

Goto www.refx.com check out Nexus2

It is used by basically every edm producer in the world. We use it all the time and they have a steady stream of expansions released monthly with great sounds. Really easy on the CPU aswell and sound amazing. You do need a steinberg elicenser key though and they are included if you buy Nexus2 new from any authorized dealer.

We have alot of the VI needed for this kind of music so I could make a long list but basically Nexus2 and Sylenth1 along with Phalanx and MOST of all Avenger from http://www.vengeance-sound.com which both are amazing, especially Avenger which came out a month ago and have many of the sounds you ask for.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-17-2017, 12:51 PM

ok awesome I really appreciate your response I will check it out. Ive been using pro tools for years but everything has been self taught and so if I need to figure something out I usually have to spend hours trying to accomplish the most menial task so im glad im not gonna waste time trying to modulate vocals now lol
Old 05-17-2017, 12:54 PM

do u think avenger will work with pro tools 9 though I cannot find any info if its compatible or not
Old 05-17-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Goto www.refx.com check out Nexus2

It is used by basically every edm producer in the world. We use it all the time and they have a steady stream of expansions released monthly with great sounds. Really easy on the CPU aswell and sound amazing. You do need a steinberg elicenser key though and they are included if you buy Nexus2 new from any authorized dealer.

We have alot of the VI needed for this kind of music so I could make a long list but basically Nexus2 and Sylenth1 along with Phalanx and MOST of all Avenger from http://www.vengeance-sound.com which both are amazing, especially Avenger which came out a month ago and have many of the sounds you ask for.
And let's not forget Synthmaster

QAPLA!
Old 05-17-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
And let's not forget Synthmaster
Good synth but the new Synthmaster ONE is amazeballs and we have used it everyday since. Not AAX64 yet and I should have mentioned the new SM1 but in all honesty it isn't as good for the EDM music style as Nexus2 and Avenger for example, those are made especially for the elecro market.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-17-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKEproductions View Post
do u think avenger will work with pro tools 9 though I cannot find any info if its compatible or not
You are right, did think it would run but states 64bit only but Nexus2 is the choice for EDM as is Sylenth1 which might be one of the very best most used VI for EDM.

The problem is PT9 which is a legacy version and rtas is dead in the water and that makes it problematic to find VI that will work as VST in a wrapper like MB7 mk2 for instance that makes the VST versions run in PT.

I guess you can demo Nexus and make sure it works, that Vi will do it all and do it GREAT! We have huge songs on the charts with almost 60-70% Nexus2 sounds as their great expansions makes the VI sound soo versatile.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-18-2017, 08:38 AM

Ok great thank you. I think I will go with the nexus2 for right now and see how that plays out. It says it is compatible with pro tools 7 and higher. One more questions for you. Do you know if Nexus2 has a lot of cool vocal patches as well in its sound database? I like a lot of the vocal patches in xpand2 but they are all choir vocals. None of them are singular. Will nexus2 carry singular vocal patches by chance?