Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2010, 10:21 AM

Default 002 Help

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can quickly help me with this.

I've had a 002 for a few years, and it has always worked fine, however I'm pretty sure it has developed the common power harness issue.

I know Digidesign were happy to send out the the replacement harness a while ago, however considering mine is around 4 years old I'm guessing they won't anymore - which isn't a problem, but I can't find an email address or a phone number in the UK to call to get a replacement part - or whether there is anyone I can talk to to confirm the problem. At the moment I have the usual 3 clicks then the flashing 1394 light. However windows recognises that I have plugged the unit in and turned it on. However when I start Pro Tools it crashes my computer in a fairly major way (Blue screen of death).

I sent off my registration document when I first got it, however I have no recollection of ever getting anything back, so while I am the only owner of the unit, I'm not entirely sure if I can check whether I ever successfully registered it, or how I would now register it now if I needed to to get the support.

Can anyone help with any of the above questions?

Thanks

Ben
Old 09-19-2010, 10:31 AM

Default Re: 002 Help

You can fix the power harness yourself. It's quite easy

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geeks...-cleaning.html
Old 09-19-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowgli789 View Post
Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can quickly help me with this.

I've had a 002 for a few years, and it has always worked fine, however I'm pretty sure it has developed the common power harness issue.

I know Digidesign were happy to send out the the replacement harness a while ago, however considering mine is around 4 years old I'm guessing they won't anymore - which isn't a problem, but I can't find an email address or a phone number in the UK to call to get a replacement part - or whether there is anyone I can talk to to confirm the problem. At the moment I have the usual 3 clicks then the flashing 1394 light. However windows recognises that I have plugged the unit in and turned it on. However when I start Pro Tools it crashes my computer in a fairly major way (Blue screen of death).

I sent off my registration document when I first got it, however I have no recollection of ever getting anything back, so while I am the only owner of the unit, I'm not entirely sure if I can check whether I ever successfully registered it, or how I would now register it now if I needed to to get the support.

Can anyone help with any of the above questions?

Thanks

Ben
I suspect if you haven't moved the unit around and maybe it's the computer?, do you use the computer also for surfing the net?, if so check and make sure nothings going on with the computer itself.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the responses

I don't move it around a lot, but I am on a clean version of Windows 7, with nothing else other than Pro Tools and Google Chrome installed on the computer.

I have tried buying a new firewire cable just in case it was something to do with that. I have also taken the unit apart and checked the connections (ie the pins) where the power harness plugs in. They all look spotlessly clean, but I don't understand what else would cause the 3 clicks then the flashing 1394 light.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:16 PM

Ok, an update, as I'm now beginning to think this isn't the power harness thing.

Annoyingly I can't contact Digidesign at the moment as it won't let me register on their direct support site at the moment.

I have managed to get Pro Tools to load up fine, and open an old session. The problem I have is that after about 5 mins I get the message "Can't see you Digidesign hardware, please reconnect and restart pro tools", and the 1394 light starts flashing.

I went out and bought a new firewire cable, and that doesn't appear to make any difference. I've also changed the windows firewire driver to the legacy one, but that hasn't worked either. The reason I don't think it is the harness issue is that unlike other reports I read, I can press the mute button and the LED goes out.

Has anyone any ideas what else it could be, or what the flashing 1394 LED actually means?

Thanks again.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowgli789 View Post
Ok, an update, as I'm now beginning to think this isn't the power harness thing.

Annoyingly I can't contact Digidesign at the moment as it won't let me register on their direct support site at the moment.

I have managed to get Pro Tools to load up fine, and open an old session. The problem I have is that after about 5 mins I get the message "Can't see you Digidesign hardware, please reconnect and restart pro tools", and the 1394 light starts flashing.

I went out and bought a new firewire cable, and that doesn't appear to make any difference. I've also changed the windows firewire driver to the legacy one, but that hasn't worked either. The reason I don't think it is the harness issue is that unlike other reports I read, I can press the mute button and the LED goes out.

Has anyone any ideas what else it could be, or what the flashing 1394 LED actually means?

Thanks again.
first off your on the Mac side. You need to post this problem on the windows section. Also list what all you have?, computer, firewire card? etc. I'm thinking you might not have the DIGi approved Oxford chip on your firewire card.