Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2003, 10:21 AM

Default Comparing Bit-rates, Sample-rates, and convertors - Telling the difference?

Ok Hi.

Now, basically as the topic states, is there really a noticable difference? I mean most people will listen to anything, and usually they play their CDs on crap systems, is it just a thing for gearheads, or is there really a difference??

Personally I really cant tell the difference, so the other night I recorded a song at 24/96 just to try it. Yes I do think it sounds good, professional, but I dont think I could compare it to 44k. Also people say in professional studios they have much better convertors than the 002, but what does that mean? How much audibly better are they???

Thanks

SG
Old 05-03-2003, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Comparing Bit-rates, Sample-rates, and convertors - Telling the difference?

The real question is "audibly different to who?"

I went though the Golden Ears training last year and ever since, I've been hearing things I never heard in my favorite music. It's ruined a few of my favorite songs. Untrained ears will have a hard time telling the difference between a 128kbs mp3 and the uncompressed 44100Hz 16 bit file but it's a painful thing to listen to for someone with trained ears.

My new rule of thumb is that if I can't hear the difference, most of the people who listen to it will not hear the difference either.
www.cd-romney.com
www.ncarts.edu/ncsaprod/designandproduction
Old 05-03-2003, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Comparing Bit-rates, Sample-rates, and convertors - Telling the difference?

I'm also reminded of something my acoustics professor in college said:

"If you pay for it, you will hear it." (whether there is something to be heard or not) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
www.cd-romney.com
www.ncarts.edu/ncsaprod/designandproduction
Old 05-05-2003, 02:56 AM

(bump)
Old 05-05-2003, 08:36 AM

The difference between 16 bits and 24 bits can be fairly noticeable on material with a wide dynamic range...on most heavily compressed pop-type stuff, though, you won't hear a difference. From 44.1 to 96 kHz the difference is much more subtle and, for the most part, not audible at all...most differences people hear typically have more to do with converter design than with the sampling rates themselves. As for the differences between converters in general, there is definitely a difference...far more subtle than the differences between microphones and preamps, but still a noticeable difference if you know what to listen for.

Like Jason said, though, whether most listeners will hear the difference...that's another story. If you're recording an artist who doesn't care or can't hear the difference that's fine, but most of us (and hopefully most of our clients) will be able to hear the details a little better than the "average" listener and hopefuly strive for the best sonic picture we can.

-Duardo