Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio

Old 10-20-2022, 12:07 PM

Default Mbox Studio Converters???

Just read a comment on YT saying the converters had specs from 13 years ago...say it ain't so....
Old 10-20-2022, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Mbox Studio Coverters???

What does that mean, specs from 13 years ago?

Are they saying that it uses components from 2009? Sound isn't specs, so I'd be curious to know what that youtuber was actually implying.

I recently bought a converter which uses many decade old components -- *components* not just specs -- and it sounds better than any A/D I've ever used.

Though I'm fairly certain that this will use updated tech. Considering what is now available, and the inexpensive prices, there would be no excuse for this to sound mediocre.
Old 10-20-2022, 12:30 PM

So true. Back in my hi end audio period, I noticed a fairly cheap Technics receiver with better specs than one of the high end preamps at a local dealer, one that cost thousands (and of course sounded amazing)

Yes this piece is pretty interesting to me. I just wish AVID would come out with a Carbon JR "FOR THE REST US" lol
Old 10-20-2022, 02:02 PM

What specs exactly? Which discussion?

I'd be surprised if anybody can't build an interface with decent spec converters anyhow.

But who really cares about converters.

What matters more for many started/home studio type interfaces is the onboard preamps, and how do they sound? Needs a professional review (who is out there worth listening to, Sound on Sound?, so may "reviews" and vendor pandering "influencer" opinions are worthless) and some real end-user feedback.
Old 10-20-2022, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
So true. Back in my hi end audio period, I noticed a fairly cheap Technics receiver with better specs than one of the high end preamps at a local dealer, one that cost thousands (and of course sounded amazing)
You've mentioned specs a couple of times. Can you elaborate on which specs you're referring to?

I sold audio when I was a teenager and Technics was always one of the better mass market receivers amongst that crowd. It was my preference. More crisp and exciting, which I liked. Some thought Pioneer Elite had an edge because it was smoother. Denon had a cult following -- we won't go there. I remember customers who'd look at the product manuals and suggest that the one with the higher wattage and lower THD was categorically superior; didn't even need to hear them. Of course that was crazy, but I still run into people like that today. Not that specs don't tell a story, but only certain specs can speak and they're only giving you a part of the narrative.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:43 PM

lol right now under my flat screen TV (hockey game on) is a good looking (and sounding) black 20+ year old Technics receiver that pumps audio out of that flat screen TV and sounds quite good :) Anyway, totally agree on a different name.. "Avid Desktop Studio" anything but Mbox. First look I thought this has to be over 1,000 USD. $899 not really bad at all for what it offers in today's economy.

-Len
Old 10-20-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
You've mentioned specs a couple of times. Can you elaborate on which specs you're referring to?

I sold audio when I was a teenager and Technics was always one of the better mass market receivers amongst that crowd. It was my preference. More crisp and exciting, which I liked. Some thought Pioneer Elite had an edge because it was smoother. Denon had a cult following -- we won't go there. I remember customers who'd look at the product manuals and suggest that the one with the higher wattage and lower THD was categorically superior; didn't even need to hear them. Of course that was crazy, but I still run into people like that today. Not that specs don't tell a story, but only certain specs can speak and they're only giving you a part of the narrative.
No idea. This came from someone commenting on the new mBox Studio on YouTube, the comment was "this thing has converters with specs that are 13 years old " or something.

Technics, etc, were all fine for the average user. I'm talking about being a true audio snob LOL...as in, you subscribe to The Absolute Sound, spend a grand on a cartridge, untold amounts on cables, listen through Quads and are running Levinson or Spectral pre amps. Some of those items didn't have the specs that cheap retail store brands did.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:42 PM

TAS was the worst, just perpetuating scams on "audiophile" idiots. Many Stereophile technical reviews were OK. I still love my rack of Mark Levinson gear, and B&W 802 speakers.
Old 10-20-2022, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
I just wish AVID would come out with a Carbon JR "FOR THE REST US" lol
With Thunderbolt instead of AVB this time
Old 10-20-2022, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahsoul View Post
With Thunderbolt instead of AVB this time
Don't think you're gonna see any new thunderbolt interfaces any time soon.
Stock has run out of the required Intel chips and apparently they're not going ahead wit what was going to replace it. Check the RME Forum.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01