Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-06-2004, 05:56 AM

Default high sample rates: can your system handle it?

i've worked happily at 24-bit/44.1k for a few years now, but am considering moving up to 24-bit/88.2k + for various reasons. i need a new Mac to do this, since my 733 G4 chokes on 48k. i'd really appreciate it if anyone would chime in with what sample rate they're working at and on what kind of machine. and any info on how well your system handles the high sample rate would be great as well.

thank you!
Old 09-07-2004, 05:59 PM

Default Re: high sample rates: can your system handle it?

just trying to keep the thread alive long enough for a reply or two. anyone want to report in?

thanks. if not, i will hang my head in shame and return to my cave.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:19 PM

Default Re: high sample rates: can your system handle it?

Although I am on a PC, one thing to consider is your plug-in usage.

I've been using the Waves Mastering plug-ins and they suck hard on the CPU.
Also the IR-1 Convolution Reverb is murder (the CPU fan kicks into overdrive if you leave your session open to long).

I have the CPU and latency up to the max (85%/2048) and still have very limited high end plug-in space forcing me to bounce between processes.

I am working on simple mono one track recordings at 96/24 routing through busses and external hardware.

Also consider that some plug-ins, even in Waves 5.0, are only compatable to 48Khz.
Do only what you need to do at 88.2/96 like recording the original tracks.
You can always re-mix them when new technologies provide more horsepower or alternate processing paths.

Also, if you are ready to finalize a master, you can always bounce the 44.1/48 back to 88.2/96 for that final touch.