Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2023, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Batch Renaming Bug...

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Or you can batch clip rename and then export those clips to the delivery files folder and files exported will retain the newly named clips.

Either way works. The argument for a batch rename original file is valid but there are plenty of workarounds to achieve the same thing.
I totally agree, and that's what I've been doing. I was just trying to illustrate a real world use case.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:27 PM

Those use cases totally make sense. I was thinking of it just automatically do it. Some of the other respondents mentioned making a tick box or something.

I can understand batch naming filenames as a reasonable workflow and the current implementation as described above as "incomplete".

That makes sense, I can agree an option to rename filenames as clips, such as automatically when there is 1:1 clip and file association. My initial feedback on the topic was trying to ask about what to do when there were 2:3 or 3:2 files and clips, or whatever. I didn't think it was a bug, but as incomplete to user needs, I see that too.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 02-03-2023, 02:05 AM

+1 on a tick box to name clips and disk file names.
Old 02-03-2023, 12:38 PM

Yeah, it's totally simple to understand.

Two clips with different audio files can have the same name:

Batch rename would try to call the one audio file by one name then the other audio file by the same name.

Since that simple simple case would throw an "ERROR" and a partial job is not right. No one is answering my question of what it should do. Y'all just say "yeah but it should do it" without explaining the obvious trouble with deciding default behaviour.

How many warnings do I need and errors when I want batch rename to just work perfectly like it does now.... batch export is so, so simple.

Therefore,

Command+A
Command+Shift+K

is your friend.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //