Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2014, 11:57 PM

Default Is 44.1 Khz 24-bit Good For a Standard Music Session With This PC?

I'm still learning things with Pro Tools everyday, and as many of you know, I have read an article on the debate of 44.1 vs 48 vs 96 and so on.....
Here is the article, it is from Pro Tools Expert-
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...ag/first-steps

Anyway, on there it said 44.1 is fine for a music project, although my new interface that I want, A focusrite Liquid Saffire Pro 56 supports up to 192. Obviously I won't be using 192k, but like my title says, is 44.1k enough quality to do a standard session? Just vocals, guitars, drum, then a few VI's. I am thinking about getting Sweetwater's Ultimate Creation Station computer http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CS450v3 So, judging by this computer's specs, even though I'm sure it can handle more than 44.1, is 44.1 still okay to use even though the computer can handle more? I just don't want to overuse something like 96k if I honestly don't need it.

I mean I know the quality of a song gets affected by the mics you use, quality of VI's, and mixing, etc, but for all intents and purposes, say I have good equipment for all that stuff. With that in mind, would there really be a noticeable difference between a song at 44.1k, vs the same song recorded at 96k, to the average music listener, given that they are both mixed down to a standard 44.1k 16 bit for say iTunes or something?
Old 01-11-2014, 12:18 AM

Default Is 44.1 Khz 24-bit Good For a Standard Music Session With This PC?

I would ask Sweetwater that question, it's there system. But the answers depend on what interface you are running, how many tracks, what version of Pro Tools and especially what plugins are being used. So your question is very much "how long is a piece of string". but in general yes this system should be powerful enough for most folks doing what you are doing, but you might want a dedicated Vi sample SSD or HDD depending on what you are doing.

And on any high-performance system I'd be using SSD for everything, boot/system, audio/session (always a dedicated drive) and samples. Starting with samples on the boot drive for most uses, dedicated drive for heavy use/or just some heavier VIs (e.g. NI products).

As much as I like Sweetwater and their support etc. I think these systems are over priced and dislike that they do not spec the exact components they use e.g. What exact SSD drive? yes I know they are likely worried about folks just cloning their build, but too bad.

If you want a powerful rock solid Pro Tools Windows box there are great threads on DUC about building your own system. e.g http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426 Full of wonderful advice.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-12-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Is 44.1 Khz 24-bit Good For a Standard Music Session With This PC?

As for 44k, the vast majority of major label music is done at that rate, so nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 AM

While I agree that 44.1K is okay(especially when starting in recording), I work at 48K these days(for 99% of my stuff). It gives a slight improvement in bandwidth, without placing any serious strain on the system(as compared to 44.1K). The choice of 24 bit is probably MORE important than 48K vs 44.1K. Plenty of hits were done on ADAT's, so work on the music more, and worry about the sample rate less

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-11-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
While I agree that 44.1K is okay(especially when starting in recording), I work at 48K these days(for 99% of my stuff). It gives a slight improvement in bandwidth, without placing any serious strain on the system(as compared to 44.1K). The choice of 24 bit is probably MORE important than 48K vs 44.1K. Plenty of hits were done on ADAT's, so work on the music more, and worry about the sample rate less
Solid advice there Dave

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-11-2014, 01:37 PM

I'd add : work on the music more, worry on the gear no more...

:)

Darryl Ramm
Old 01-11-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
That makes sense, using 48 to get better quality vs 44.1 but without the strain. I do have a question about that though. I will do my next session at 48k 24 bit, but when I bounce down to 44.1k 16 bit, I've heard some people say that if you're bouncing down to that, you should use 44.1k or 88.2 for the session because it has something to do with the math of bouncing down. Lol to be honest I have no idea what this means lol I'm just a little intimidated asking all this stuff around you guys cause you all have had years of experience with recording and are pros and I'm only 20 and am sitting here like "holy crap there is so much to learn with recording what do I do??!" :)
Old 01-11-2014, 04:41 PM

There are many different opinions about this..

I prefer working at 44.1 rather than convert down to it in the end. 48 if it's going for video and stays 48.

High end quality converters will give much better results at 44.1 than low end budget converters at 192 will.

For sample rate conversion, quality of conversion may vary widely between DAWs and other dedicated software. PT is not the best at it.

I've read a document about iTunes preferred formats, and it said that the higher the sample rate, the better the sound will be after conversion to iTunes.

If your recordings don't sound good at 44.1/24, don't expect them to sound better at higher sample rates.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Solid advice there Dave
I had to go read Dave's post, I thought for a minute maybe he had recommended getting a Mac
Old 01-11-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I had to go read Dave's post, I thought for a minute maybe he had recommended getting a Mac
only if you got a fat wallet. Re sample rate conversion; its gotten plenty good since the early days so I don't give it a second thought. If your final product is to be audio CD's, then you will end up at 44.1K and 16 bit, so make sure you use dither as the absolute last process(for going from 24 bit to 16 bit, having nothing to do with sample rate). If your final goal is DVD, then 48K makes even more sense

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave